Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do "WLDD" stamped crankcases exist?

Do "WLDD" stamped crankcases exist?

Matt's list of bikes includes a Harley-Davidson "39WLDD." I wonder if Matt or anyone else can tell us if there are authentic factory cases with the second "D" stamped in the motor number? Not just "WLD" but "WLDD."

I ask because in my study of models and motor numbers I have found no original H-D documentation that lists a "WLDD" stamped motor number. The only places I have seen "WLDD" motors mentioned are in secondary sources like books which are not entirely accurate. So far I have not seen "WLDD" mentioned in original Harley documentation such as factory model lists, etc.

If authentic "WLDD" stamped motor cases do exist I would gladly like to know so that my study can be complete and accurate.

Re: Do "WLDD" stamped crankcases exist?

I have seen several 1939 WLDD bikes, I know three different people that own them and I think there are several at the WTT museum. I believe that they were only produced in 1939. I think it was basically a race bike for the street.

3. Re: Do "WLDD" stamped crankcases exist?

I got to rebuild one for a customer a few years ago. It still had standard bore cylinders, and was quite unmolested. The numbers looked perfect for factory font etc with both Ds stamped on the pad. Had big fin cylinders with big intake ports, bigger manifold, bigger intake valves, but standard cams. I know of a few more that I've seen that also had legit numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by MATT MCMANUS View Post
    I have seen several 1939 WLDD bikes, I know three different people that own them and I think there are several at the WTT museum. I believe that they were only produced in 1939. I think it was basically a race bike for the street.
    You got any pictures of a 39WLDD with a good vin?
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

I dont take pictures of VIN numbers unlike others, You, Chris, on the other hand do so maybe you can provide a picture for us.

I have one H-D model sheet from 1939 and no WLDD model or motor number is listed. But there could have been an updated model sheet that I don't have because there was sometimes more than one for a given model year.

The WLDR was the normal race bike in street trim for Class C competition, including for 1939. But if there are several bikes with "39WLDD" cases floating around there is more to the story. But what the story exactly is yet I'm not sure....

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fabercycle View Post
    I got to rebuild one for a customer a few years ago. It still had standard bore cylinders, and was quite unmolested. The numbers looked perfect for factory font etc with both Ds stamped on the pad. Had big fin cylinders with big intake ports, bigger manifold, bigger intake valves, but standard cams. I know of a few more that I've seen that also had legit numbers.
    That sounds promising and that "WLDD" stamped motors do exist. But the fact that they are not listed on the 1939 factory model sheet makes it important that we have supporting evidence in the form of a gen-u-whine motor number or other supporting documentation.

I dont take pictures of VIN numbers unlike others, You, Chris, on the other hand do so maybe you can provide a picture for us.
    Chris,

You don't have a "WLDD" motor number in your collection of photos? Ever see a "WLDD" stamped case?

Matt,

I'm not asking this for any bad reason but only to document that authentic "WLDD" motor numbers do exist. A clear photo of a "WLDD" motor number for us to examine would be very useful.

It's true that some guys are wary about photos of their motor numbers being taken. I don't understand this. What possible harm is there to it?

[QUOTE=Herb;83542]Chris,

You don't have a "WLDD" motor number in your collection of photos? Ever see a "WLDD" stamped case? [QUOTE]

No, I don't have a picture and I don't remember ever seeing one. My 1939 Order Blank lists a WLDR but no WLDD.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Quote Originally Posted by Herb View Post
    It's true that some guys are wary about photos of their motor numbers being taken. I don't understand this. What possible harm is there to it?
    Paranoia strikes deep -- into your heart it will creep,
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Thread Information