Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biker dies protesting helmet laws

Biker dies protesting helmet laws

Yep, wear a helmet fellas. You look even more stupid when your're dead.......

http://news.yahoo.com/ny-motorcyclis...143217859.html

Re: Biker dies protesting helmet laws

I don't know what the law is in Florida, but I see very few Floridians wearing helmets. I've had three bad spills and cracked two helmets here in the Sunshine state. I don't want to get in a helmet debate but when I see a guy riding without a helmet, I see a guy that's never been knocked off a motorcycle.

Sadly the scenario written up in the article is too often true. The "rider hit his brakes and went into a fishtail" is a classic mistake by those who don't really know how to ride and rarely if ever use the front brake. Lock your rear wheel and the majority of the time you will go down. Yet new Harley ( and most other cruiser) riders continue to tell each other not to use the front brake. And the majority have never taken a real rider training course. They are all to smart and tough for that. Ignorance kills, even with protective gear!
    Robbie

Guess I'm used to helmets being compulsory - even the bikies wear them here. Just got back from a trip to Europe and must admit to "cringing" when I saw bikes from scooters to Harley's being ridden with no helmet, shorts, singlets, open shoes (thongs/flip flops) - all I could imagine was the injuries that could occur even in minor spills.

Quote Originally Posted by 47chief View Post
    Guess I'm used to helmets being compulsory - even the bikies wear them here. Just got back from a trip to Europe and must admit to "cringing" when I saw bikes from scooters to Harley's being ridden with no helmet, shorts, singlets, open shoes (thongs/flip flops) - all I could imagine was the injuries that could occur even in minor spills.
    What's a singlet?

Quote Originally Posted by cdndewey View Post
    What's a singlet?

It is a tank top.

Front brakes provide the majority of your stopping power. No doubt about it. Now that being said, too much of a good thing can be just as bad.
    Fabe
    '41 FL
    '50 Chief
    '64 FL
    '42 WLA

8. Re: Biker dies protesting helmet laws

I have to say that the one high speed accident I was involved in occurred when I wasn't wearing a helmet. Several injuries were life threatening, I guess including a rather severe concussion. The most persistent damage was vertebral that may have been aggravated by a helmet.

I could be the exception that proves the rule.

Awareness of one's surroundings and personal responsibility for one's actions go a lot farther than mandating a piece of apparel in my mind.

I would never disagree with a persons right to NOT wear a helmet. I believe in Florida, a rider has to carry a $100 G insurance policy if they ride without a helmet. I don't believe that requirement is enforced.

Most unfortunate for the fellow and his family.

Helmet laws aren't really about helmets. Helmet laws are just one of the symbols of big government interference with personal choice and freedom. That is the essence of the protest.

What better cause is there to protest than Big Brother's encroachment into our freedoms down to the detail level of what we are required to put on our heads? I can't think of many things more important than this to dedicate oneself to.

Sure, it's a very ironic incident, but it does not diminish the important principles he was standing up for.

Put me down as liking helmets, but HATING helmet laws.
    Last edited by DaveSwanson; 07-04-2011 at 08:28 AM.
    Dave Swanson

1936 VLH
    1936 VD
    1956 FLH
    1956 KHK
    1964 XLCH
    1969 FLH
    1984 FLH

Thread Information