Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunnen rigid hand hone-cylinders

Re: Sunnen rigid hand hone-cylinders

donie you must have one hell of an eye !!! you talk about running the hone one way flip the cylinder hone it the other way and you we get very close to .0002" .
    you forgot to tell every one they well need mic's so that they know that they are with in the .002 - .00025 and how to measure the piston and let alone the cylinder, and that different piston makers and types of piston will have different clearance . And for the sunnen sells pitch there are other brands out there that are made the same way so if you want i can go out the shop and take some pic's of my boring bar and hones , and some stones that are no good do to uneven wear.

Here is a scan from Wiseco that tells you how to measure the piston Capture.jpg and here is a link to a PDF of the sheet

Cost
    Used sunnen hones are around 200.00 and up if in good shape
    1 micrometer to mic the piston is around 100.00
    cylinder Bore micrometer made in china 100.00 and one that i would trust will cost you around 300.00 -up

PS i have seen many factor trained guys that have know i deal of what they are doing.
    Last edited by jmanjeff; 07-03-2011 at 07:11 AM.
    1957 Sportster Pic;s Here

A good friend will come bail you outta jail, A true friend will be sitting next to you sayin "Damn, we f**ked up!!

On the hone machine, is a Standard "brand" #5 dial bore gage .0001" often on ebay $50 to $100.

I am shocked, shocked that people are incapable of honing and condemn the method even though they use it anyway after using boring bars.

The misinformation, that the Sunnen hone produces out of round holes, really baffles me, I have never ever heard that in any other industry, such as hydraulics, where in the use on valve bodies is much more critical then any automotive or motorcycle application.

I am also very aware being a factory certified mechanic is a bad thing in todays world, as those in the aftermarket do hate the company with a passion.

I explained how to do it, and why to do it as per factory recommendation. That I practiced, tested and found logical and valid.

Those condemning factory methods, falsely claiming the Sunnen hone can not produce a round hole, would appear to me, to try to justify purchasing a boring bar, and their lack of taking just a little effort to use a hone correctly.
    Sunnen one of the best companies I have dealt with, will help you with any problems, for free.

At any rate, I explained the how and why.
    I do think the average guy can produce, quality work themselves.

I am thinking of doing a post on rebuilding rod sets, that will cause a riot I am sure!

Quote Originally Posted by donie View Post
    I am shocked, shocked that people are incapable of honing and condemn the method even though they use it anyway after using boring bars. NO one has condemned honing " Bore cylinder then you hone to fit "

The misinformation, that the Sunnen hone produces out of round holes, really baffles me, I have never ever heard that in any other industry, such as hydraulics, where in the use on valve bodies is much more critical then any automotive or motorcycle application. And no one said that honing produces out of round holes The piston wearing on the cylinder wall at it widest point is what produces out of round holes I bore and hone all brands motorcycles and jet ski not just HD

I am thinking of doing a post on rebuilding rod sets, that will cause a riot I am sure!
    I hone my rod all so i just have a problem with your way of doing cylinders So you have a nice day and i am out for a ride ...........
    1957 Sportster Pic;s Here

A good friend will come bail you outta jail, A true friend will be sitting next to you sayin "Damn, we f**ked up!!

Well then,

One can do the dirt bike method, shipyard method, or the Harley factory method.

I can only convey the Harley method, and gave the factory reason why.

I worked in the hydraulic industry for several years. My task was honing dozer cylinders and the like. Some of the stuff was really large. The hone followed the bore, even if it was all over the place throughout the tube. I actually obtained a round finished hone after starting with a egg shaped bore, but as I stated, the bore was all over the place and centerline was compromised. In such large hydraulic cylinders though, off center did not make a difference in operation of a complete hydraulic assembly. The tubing wall thickness was more than adaquate to compensate for the centerline discrepancy and psi.

Hydraulics technician myself.
    The cylinders length has a dramatic effect on the hones ability to straighten a wandering bore. And hydraulic cylinders bore length can be several feet in length, with the stone length only inches.

Where as, a pan cylinder is 6 5/8" length, and the AN stones are 4" length, this gives the stones overlap vrs bore length.
    With the proper action, of reversing direction, the stones self true constantly, the bore is pulled true with the overlap of stone vrs work length.
    Sort of the reverse can happen also, the stones can be too long.
    In the photo of my Sunnen machine, the rod honing mandrel is shown with a rod on it.
    This mandrel has the ability to hold several stones for long lengths, however, since the con-rods big ends is shorter then one stone, only one stone is used.
    There the problem of keeping the stones self truing, requires the work to overlap the ends of the stone.
    Same action however, the work is reversed often, and switching from front and rear rods during that work as increasing size and removing egg shape, and because the rear rod has two races spaced apart its best to work that along with the front rod, but separate, not both on the mandrel at the same time

I am sure it can be argued only here, that the machine cant get rod races true either.
    Sunnen honing is accepted, in every industry for high precision, except apparently with aftermarket bike shops.

all I can say is a machine is designed to do what a man can not reproduce as quickly as required. No machine can ever do more than a man designed it to do. So, why is it so hard to believe a man can not hone a cylinder???

8. Re: Sunnen rigid hand hone-cylinders

If the end product meets spec,the cyl doesn't know how it got there and doesn't care. Just because something isn't the latest whiz bang technology,doesn't mean it can't accomplish the task. Many times the new equipment compensates for a lack of skill on the part of the operator. Not saying it doesn't do a good job. About 30 yrs ago I took .020 off a 4 cyl crank using a mic,a mill file,and emory tape. The engine is still running.

I have a Customer who builds Plastic Injection Molds for Major Companies throughout the world on the most sophisticated machinery available. Everyone on this forum has stuff that came from his Molds. He says that the ONLY machine that will make a PERFECTLY ROUND HOLE is the Sunnen Hone and his is even older than mine!

10. Re: Sunnen rigid hand hone-cylinders

It will make a "perfectly round hole" if you use it right, but is it true to the base??? Maybe, if it was true before.........

Thread Information