Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1940 Indian Four Motorcycle For Sale

1940 Indian Four Motorcycle For Sale

Here is a 1940 Indian Four for sale on ebay. Comments?

I always liked the very early Indian Fours (1930ish and late 1930) Indian Fours the best.

Link is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1940-...face7e2a#v4-37
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Forum Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Harley magazine
    Classic Harley Classic Harley Info
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Re: 1940 Indian Four Motorcycle For Sale

I'D GIVE MY LEFT NUT FOR A FOUR !15 years ago saw a beaut in davenport , 28 k !had the dough in the truck ......still thuoght it was crazy money .it was green and white .........and pretty ..........and soft ..............ahhhhhhhhhh never mind ..
    GIVE NO QUARTER!!

I like them plain. That bike looks like a beautiful woman that's dressed like a strumpet.

Earlier, still retaining some of the original Ace heritage, is better. And before the ill-fated Upside down (E-o-I) experiment, 1936-37, which are only laughable, and too hot on top to sit behind for a very long trip. '38 and '39 got the engines right, and it was before the accursed skirted fenders, which don't do a thing for me. Yeah,either early, or 1938-9, without all the gaudy makeup.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Here`s mine, less chrome style
    Attached Images Attached Images

indian_four_1941_lg.jpgFirst ride 02.jpgindian_four_1941_engine.jpgI like the 29-30 models that look similar to the 101, but by far I prefer the 40-42 skirted models. The early 30's don't do a lot for me, the late 30's would be a 3rd choice. Just as well we all have different tastes in bikes.
    I bought my 41 Four last October with the help of Mike (Kiwi) Tomas and finally got it here in Oz in April. I've had a few good rides on it and am totally pleased with it (except getting used to gear changes into 2nd). The bike on ebay is "nice" but not what I would choose for a colour scheme. The price to me is on the high side compared to what I paid for mine (engine rebuilt by Dick Davies (confirmed) and restored by Elmer Lower). The 47 Chief has taken a back seat for a couple of months but managed to take it out last week to blow the cobwebs away. The 4 is heavier but to me feels lighter on the road - maybe lower centre of gravity and spring forks help. Two of the photos I found on the net when the bike was at some show in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg H View Post
    Here`s mine, less chrome style
    That's the way they should look. Beautiful bike Greg H.

this is the third time this bike has been on ebay in the last month. first time it went to 43 or 44 grand next time a shill bid of 69 grand this time started at 69,999.00 he wants 70 because thats close to what he overpaid for it. i sold my 440 a few months back and i have sellers remorse so im looking to buy another if anyone knows of a 38 or 39 for sale for a realistic price keep me in mind.

My 440 is similar to Greg H. Not as shiny as it is unrestored other than an old repaint. Little rusty here and there but a great rider. Pretty correct also. Has all the right one year stuff. Any four is a good four as I have ridden my friends 31 with side car and a few others. The one pictured is a beautiful bike. Not my style but I sure wouldn't kick it out of the garage. I think the price is a little high but it is worth what someone will pay. There is one in Walneck's that is a ditto of mine as far as condition and color and he wants $67,500. Has some motor mods that carry value. It may be in there a while. But then again good original knuckles are up there too. T-bone PM me.

10. Re: 1940 Indian Four Motorcycle For Sale

Quote Originally Posted by 47chief View Post
    I like the 29-30 models that look similar to the 101
    Hey- whatcha got against '28 401's LOL? That one little missing front downtube turn you off? Guess I'm a little partial for some reason

2000 Indian Chief
    1947 Indian Chief Bobber
    1947 Indian Chief Basket
    1928 Indian 4, model 401
    1998 Ducati ST2 "Touring Bike"
    Ugly-Ass Tote Gote

Thread Information