Thread: early panhead electric start conversion

early panhead electric start conversion

Does anyone know if there is any electric start conversions out there other than Tech Cycles. I would rather not have a primary belt drive. Several years ago, I ran across an old flathead that the owner had designed and built his own, maybe this is the way to do it, I don't know.

www.jedscycleproducts.com is working on a nice one.

We are also in the middle of converting a stock 1951 Panhead to electric start for a handicapped rider. We are trying to do this without altering any of the original '51 parts. Pretty simple. Use a 1965-1969 transmission. Machine a chunk of billet aluminum to fit inside the engine case primary lip and bore holes for the sprocket shaft and mounting bolts. Mill out the small end of a 1965-1969 inner primary cover so the billet you made for the engine case fits into it and weld them together. Take two motor sprockets and cut the teeth off of one and bore the center out of another and press them together till the motor sprocket lines up with the sprocket on the clutch drum. Then weld the two halves together. Bolt in an aftermarket electric start horseshoe oil bag and yer ready to go. Well almost but you have all the alteration done.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Jeds has been working on that for almost 2 yrs. It is definitely a step up from Tech Cycles and seems a lot cleaner design. Have't checked lately (w/in last 3 months) to see if they are any closer to having a product for sale tho.

give me a day oor 2 to dig up the addy of a cat that has designed a starter system gor kick bikes. no belt conversion necsasery and no ring gear. he has one on his bike and is waiting for a 1000 starts before he starts pushing the kit. we have been emailing back and forth for 9 or so months. it's a cool idea, maybe not for everyone but it's gonna be a lot less money to buy one than tech cycle.

This Sounds Like Something I Would Like To Use On My Knuckle Project! Please Keep Us Informed.
    CHIEFJ48

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

chief, i'm looking for the link so you can see pics.

cheif48, try this link it has pics. like i mentioned it might not be for everyone but i found it realy interesting and simple. http://www.bikernet.com/garage.PageV...sp?PageID=1499
    for some reason what i am typing in as a link is not showing correctly when i submit it. how come it's changing what i type. man threads get deleted and no one knows how, what you type don't come up. bullshit.
    cheif if you go to the site the spread is called kick start for old farts. if you feel like looking for it. let me try again to type the link. http://www.bikernet.com/garage/PageV...sp?PageID=1499 nope still leaving out part of the addy. bullshit.
    Last edited by nuklhd; 01-21-2008 at 02:51 AM.

trashz Guest
    Link worked fine for me.

Link Worked Jusr Fine For Me Also!!! Thanks For Your Help!!!
    CHIEFJ48

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

man i'm an idiot. i should have tried it before i went ape doodoo.

Thread Information