Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What paint for exhaust

1. Re: What paint for exhaust

Being this is my first time going through a bike, I will be purchasing a set of repo mufflers. Most manufactureres say the mufflers come straight from the factory with the "coating" to keep them from rusting up whether it's for shipping/storage, etc.
    I myself have not looked into any high temp paint [color will be Black] products yet but can anyone give me some advice on prepping the mufflers? Basically I know to clean them off with solvent like a Prepsol (what do you use?). Would I need to scuff them up also or just clean them; Would you spray the insides also; I've heard POR-15 also has a high heat paint, anyone used it before; Finally, I'm not looking for a beautiful finish altogether since I do not want the mufflers and pipes to overwhelm the rest of the bike. Thnx ahead of time.
    sambo42xa
    Southern, NH-USA
    ....all comments/suggestions/opinions are Mine only and are not meant to offend anyone; it's called "busting balls" or "having fun", so get over it!

1988 Sportster 883
    2005 FLHTCI
    1942 XA (under construction)
    38+ Old Bicycles

Re: What paint for exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
    Being this is my first time going through a bike, I will be purchasing a set of repo mufflers. Most manufactureres say the mufflers come straight from the factory with the "coating" to keep them from rusting up whether it's for shipping/storage, etc.
    I myself have not looked into any high temp paint [color will be Black] products yet but can anyone give me some advice on prepping the mufflers? Basically I know to clean them off with solvent like a Prepsol (what do you use?). Would I need to scuff them up also or just clean them; Would you spray the insides also; I've heard POR-15 also has a high heat paint, anyone used it before; Finally, I'm not looking for a beautiful finish altogether since I do not want the mufflers and pipes to overwhelm the rest of the bike. Thnx ahead of time.
    I just did a set of mufflers using the flat black VHT Flame Proof header paint that I purchased at Advance Auto. I followed the instructions to the letter. Which included baking them in the oven. I have a very understanding wife. I have a little over 100 miles on them and the paint is still looking good.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Re: What paint for exhaust

I guess I may have mislead some as to the "ceramic" coatings I have been using on my exhaust systems for some time. It is not true ceramic coating, ie, a porcelain or glass material. The material I was referring to is a high heat resistant material, trade named as "Jet Hot" or the like. It is available in several colors and flat, semi, and gloss finishes. I have used flat black finish on my bikes however the semi gloss might be very close to the OEM finish. Chris is correct of his assessment of its durability. The last exhaust system I had done cost me about $80.00 total for both head pipes s-pipe and muffler. I've got about 20k miles on it now and no flaking, pealing, staining, or color change what so ever. If you scratch it, not down to the base metal, after it cools off just wipe down with an oily rag, let soak for a few minutes and wipe off. It will pretty much heal its self.
    Ron

4. Re: What paint for exhaust

I finally got my Mufflers and they are great! Got them through DennisC. He made up a set for me raw so I wouldn't have to remove the coating etc.. The site also recomends the VHT paint too, which is the way I think I will go. In the mean time, I'm still in the process of getting the exhaust pipes bent/made-up. Funny, Dennis said he had a bunch already made up and ready to go but someone bought the entire lot a loooooong time ago. I wonder whose basement they're sitting in????
    to be continued.........
    sambo42xa
    Southern, NH-USA
    ....all comments/suggestions/opinions are Mine only and are not meant to offend anyone; it's called "busting balls" or "having fun", so get over it!

1988 Sportster 883
    2005 FLHTCI
    1942 XA (under construction)
    38+ Old Bicycles

Thread Information