Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: All Encompassing Linkert Thread

Re: Linkert Carb Tuning

Fire in the Hole!!! Wrong hole though. Neighbor kids must be diggin' it. Was it always throwin' a flamin' turd out the exhaust or did this just start? If I were you I'd start at ground zero and hit all the usual suspects before tweakin' the carb. Manifold and exhaust leaks, timing set correctly, and bla, bla, bla, you know the drill. What plugs are you runnin'?

Yep, shes been a flame thrower since day one. I've had the float out several times and its set fine but the it weaps around the bowl when its left to sit with the gas on so I'll start with the new float.

I cant see or hear any exhaust leaks but I'll run around that with some sealant.

I spray WD40 on the manifold when its running and the revs dont chage but I'll tighten the nuts a bit more just incase.

She lets the flames go regardless of timing setting so I think thats ok.

Best part is that she starts like a charm.

Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1976 FLH

http://1944WL.webs.com

Mine did the same thing with a new needle and seat. Didn't stop until I fixed the gas shutoff assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAus View Post
    She lets the flames go regardless of timing setting so I think thats ok.

Best part is that she starts like a charm.
    Dave
    The symptoms as described indicate a rich condition--- which I'm sure you know--- but you'll eventually need to get it sorted out.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

I read through these posts quickly, but I always take the time to read the plugs as they will usually tell the story. Black soot type stuff = rich, white = lean. I adjust the needles as I ride as described above, but then go to the plugs to see where I am. When I get that nice chocolate brown color on the tip of the plugs I know I'm close. This has helped me a lot over time, especially when the engine is acting funny from something other than the mix. Just went through this with my bad condenser -- thought the mix was too lean because engine was missing and the next thing I knew I was fouling the plugs and making things worse. Realized that when I checked the plugs and they were black as can be.
    "A bike on the road is worth 2 in the shed"

Quote Originally Posted by dmf1 View Post
    I read through these posts quickly, but I always take the time to read the plugs as they will usually tell the story. Black soot type stuff = rich, white = lean. I adjust the needles as I ride as described above, but then go to the plugs to see where I am. When I get that nice chocolate brown color on the tip of the plugs I know I'm close. This has helped me a lot over time, especially when the engine is acting funny from something other than the mix. Just went through this with my bad condenser -- thought the mix was too lean because engine was missing and the next thing I knew I was fouling the plugs and making things worse. Realized that when I checked the plugs and they were black as can be.
    Yes, a 'plug chop' is an excellent indication of the carburetors state of tune. But it should be noted that a true 'plug chop' is not done in the garage, when the motorcycle is merely sitting there idling, nor when you just ride home and shut it off.
    When I do it, I stuff a couple sets of new plugs in my pocket, and a plug wrench, and get out on a back road somewhere where the traffic is light. The reason it's called a 'chop' is because you 'chop' off the throttle from highway speed, pull the clutch, kill the motor and coast to a stop. After the motor has cooled down enough, that's when I pull the plugs to take a look. It's also very important to NOT pull the plugs on a hot motor--- thread galling and damage can occur. So I sit and wait until I can put my hand on the heads and hold it there for several seconds without burning. It's also important to use Nev-R-Seze or other anti-galling agent on the threads of the new plugs.
    That's the way I do it........
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Thanks boys,

Im not letting this beat me. Im taking the exhaust off tonight and putting it back on with red RTV and I've got a float on its way over the pond.

Dont ya love it when you try and fix something and it only get worse....lol

Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1976 FLH

Looks like problem solved :-)

I followed Indianuts advice and held it in 2nd while adjusting. I had to wind the high speed needle a fair way down before it pulled strong without coughing or being fluffy.

The exhaust has stopped back firing once I found the leak. (How many times did I say it was sealed in previous posts!)

The only small issue remaining is that its a bit fluffy when I open the throttle and then its fine once it gets going. I think it may be some low speed needle adjustment thats required.

I put a 100 miles on it today and its getting better by the day

Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1976 FLH

Glad to hear you got it figgerd out. Just curious but how many turns out did you end up at on the Hi-speed?

I am curious as well. I realize the settings you optained will be an average due to machining of your particular carb body, carb body threads, and the same with the needles but the turns would be a great place to start with. Paps

Thread Information