Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: All Encompassing Linkert Thread

All Encompassing Linkert Thread

I have really enjoyed learning and tinkering with these old Linkerts and I wanted to ask the experts here their thoughts on tuning. I do realize that all bikes can be a bit different but maybe some experienced input here can help others.

The general setup on a rebuilt Linkert with both needles is to set the Low speed needle 5 turns out from lightly seated and the Hi speed needle 2 turns out. This should give you a rich setting to start out with. I found on mine that 5 turns out on the Low speed was overkill and 4 turns out was a better starting point as it was way too rich.

Once the motor is started and warmed up, set the Low speed needle by slowing turning the needle CW until the motor starts to run rough and the back it out about 5 - 10 clicks and that should be about right.

For the Hi speed needle, I've found that after a little trial and error that 1-1/2 turns out on my M51 is about right for my 45.

I'm curious as to what others have their carbs set at and what works best for them and their combination. So if any of you old timers have any tuning tips, some of us newbies would be very interested in your thoughts.

Edit - I've changed the title of this thread to include anything and everything about Linkert carbs. Post away!

Re: Linkert Carb Tuning

What is the set-up for a m-88?
    Bob
    43 wlc

'' 4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul ''

The M88 uses a fixed jet for the Hi-speed circuit so all you have to do is set the Low-speed and you're good to go.

Mr Big,

I recently watched an old guy tune a WLA and I realised that I turned the low speed needle too quickly when I do it.

He turned it down one notch at a time and let the bike settle and then turned it again. In the end he got what was a rough running WLA ticking over beautifully.

Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    19545KHK

http://1944WL.webs.com

Good tip, Dave. Need some more just like that. Who's next?

Just wonderin' but I was starin' at this pic from the Linkert Book and I noticed it designates a gasket between the fuel nozzle and the venturi. I've never seen a gasket for that so, is that a common procedure or used back in the day and ignored now?

Mr Big,

I took my UL for a spin yesterday and realised that it wont pull over about 60mph in top. It becomes all fluffy, no backfiring or anything like that but just doesnt pull. Its OK and pulls wll up to that point and it does the same thing if pushed hard through the gears (gets to a point where it becomes fluffy).

In your opinion do you thing this would be a high speed needle adjustment issue, a float issue or a manifold leak.

Cheers
    Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    19545KHK

Not sure what fluffy means but my first thought is gearing. If it's clean through all the gears than I'd see what you have for a motor and tranny sprocket.

Fluffy, in that usage, generally denotes an over rich condition. I would do a plug chop to see what is happening at speed. Or merely get to that point ( of fluffiness) and drop the high speed needle a click at a time and see if it picks up rpm!
    Robbie

Thanks Robbie, she pulls very well up to that point and then it starts playing up. If I drop it back to 60mph then its fine smooth and runs nicely.
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    19545KHK

Thread Information