Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: All Encompassing Linkert Thread

Re: Linkert Carb Tuning

When I dial in a Linkert, I get on a Long, Straight Road and put it in 3rd gear. Then I go to the point where I should SHIFT and hold it there. then I SLOWLY turn the Hi-Speed Needle until it misses then open it up SLOWLY until it is GOOD! Then I Re-Check in the same manner. Then I come to a stop and dial in the Low-speed needle in the SAME Manner. This has never failed to give satisfactory Results. I do not know or care how many turns in or out I am. Sometimes you may have the WRONG needle and the Sweet Spot is NOWHERE near where the BOOK, which applies only to a carb that is FACTORY STOCK, so I don't care about the turns out. I just Dial the Bike In and rarely ever touch the carb again.

Thanks Indianut, I assume your bikes are 4 speeds so I'd be doing the same in second?

Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    1993 FLHT

http://1944WL.webs.com

Good points from Rob and Danny. Just remember that it's always better to be a bit more "fluffy" then not!

Just wonderin' but do you know how many turns out your Hi-speed needle is now and where your float is set?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveAus View Post
    Thanks Indianut, I assume your bikes are 4 speeds so I'd be doing the same in second?

Dave
    On an Indian I use 2nd. I was using HD as a reference to the Question asked!

Thanks again Indianut, both of my bikes are 3 speeds so I just wanted to make sure it wasnt top gear you did it in.

Mr Big, My high speed jet is about 2 turns out and the float is set properly but the float looks a bit old.

Cheers
    Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    1993 FLHT

About right to start with. Let us know what the plugs look like.

Dave, any progress on your tuning issue? I was thinkin' that the nozzle might be worth checking if some junk might have gotten into the air bleed holes.

Hi Mr Big,

I havent had a chance to have a look as yet, but I'm planning on having a look over the weekend or maybe even tonight if I get home early enough.

I read that another way of setting the high speed neddle is have the timer in between fully advanced and retarded and blip the throttle. If it backfires through the carby or the exhaust then its too lean and you should richen the mixture, if its fluffy and doesnt want to rev its too rich and you need to lean it out.

Got no idea if it works, but its another sugestion :-)

Cheers
    Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    1993 FLHT

Dave, that's pretty much what Panic talks about doing in the Linkert Book but at full advance. Also, here's a thread from FHP that talks about plugs and tuning. Good stuff. Mr. Cotten talks about the same tuning procedure that Danny did but does have some other tidbits worth soakin' up.

http://www.sscycle.com/tech/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11558

The large flame shooting out of the exhaust after I give the bike a rev isn't a high speed mixture screw. I kept winding it out until it ended up fouling the plugs.

I'll clean them off and take it for a run to reset it. Once I've resealed the piped and put in a new float I'll try again.

Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    1993 FLHT

Thread Information