Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 45 Case

Question 45 Case

I recently aquired a right side 45 case. The casting # is 112-40 and the date code is J9. I see that the typical casting # out there is 112-39. I can't seem to find any info on this number. Any info appreciated.

Re: 45 Case

How about a picture?
    What does the generator saddle look like?
    Robbie

I'll post a picture tomorrow. The regulator mount is flat, not the two raised bosses that I've seen on other cases. Thanks, Frank

Welcome to the forum, Frank. Casting number 112-40 indicates a Big Twin Flathead right-hand case used for 1940–48 models. And a date code of J9 in that instance usually indicates casting in October 1939. (The case below has a date code of B7.) Eric

Thanks Eric, I don't see many differences. You saved me from adding more to the "stuff I can't use right now pile" I'll stop looking for a 45 left case and start looking for a UL. Thanks to all. Frank

I'd like to not only extend a welcome to the board as well but add if you paid typical 45 prices for a right hand UL case you're a lucky guy.This is from a dyed in the wool 45 fan and owner.......

Hi Greg, I've gotten quite lesson recently with early cases. I'm not sure of the value, I haven't seen any others on ebay. I payed $37 plus $12 bucks shipping. seemed like a deal...

I'll double your purchase as well as shipping costs right now.:>) You did good if it's in good condition.And I'm kidding about cheating you out of it I'm buried up to me a** in 45 parts and will be faithful to the WL for the rest of my time I'm able to ride.I have mentioned in the past due to health issues that of course are personal I'm unable to hold up a big twin anymore.I'm building as bare bones and light WL as I can due to this.Again congrats on the score.

A worthy "lesson" per your reference to early cases is educating yourself twice as well as you think is required on the left side case before purchasing.If you're not well informed already on the various serial number fonts concerning letter and numeral sizes,spacing,difference in relation to year of case and also aren't 99% confident you can identify an altered number pad I'd take someone you trusted with that knowledge to look at the numbers for you.It's sad but true a lot of choice cases have been violated by restamps over the years.I have a near perfect left side 1941 WLD case that the 41WLD is a perfect factory stamping in unaltered pad at the start the last 1/2 of the pad has been mildly filed and restamped with numbers that are so faint I spotted it immediately.A late WLD case is pretty hard to find in my experience. I have $50.00 in it as I needed it for mock up purposes.I'd be thrilled to sell it or trade it for less then invested.

Hi Greg, I'm just finishing up a rigid shovel that started out as "spare parts" and was looking for another project. I thought a "45 would be an interesting project. I was quite surprised at prices since I first bought a WLC in Western Canada in 1976 for $700.00. Progress I guess. I am looking at a UL 1940 left case on ebay #250751080889, if you get a chance take a look see if it looks legit. I don't want pay too much. Thanks Frank

I just had a look at the case you sent me the ebay auction number for.I'd rather defer to someone such as Chris Haynes who has extensively studied harey case numbers.
    It sounds like you have a pretty cool little rigid build all but behind you.One of my favorite builds was a verified 70+ h.p. pan engine that I had thousands as in more then a few thousand invested in a pretty trick engine.I installed it in a vintage moly single down loop frame and ended up with a pretty hot bike that only weighed 480 pounds wet.I weighed it at a local farm grainery <sp> which is required to verify the scales accuracy multiple times a year by a government agency.
    I guess my history shows I kind of over do anything I build.My current WL solo roller is mostly oem or accurate repop excluding the the aluminum 18" rims on both ends laced to stock hubs with dunlop flat track tires.That's the only quick clue to the average person that the roller isn't stock.The engine however is where the money went on mint 1951 WL cases,S&S stroker flywheels,prepped iron head rods,KHK cylinders,cams,intake,K model heads in the slow process of me converting them to KR specs,a fresh M53 with bomb site I spent a load on to rebuild using all oem parts except for the float.I could rattle on and on but to summarize I could've easily built a Big Twin as I've done in the past for less money then my WL build has cost but wanted a 45 so that's what I spent the rent money on.
    I'll save you all the details of the planned big bore engine build that I've been buying parts to build including a couple lengths of ductile iron round stock I have stashed for 3.5 bore cylinders each with a linkert 3 bolt pattern pads machined into the right side inline with the intake valves.They will be KH cylinder height and appear as closely to the KH cylinders as possible.They will look a bit thick like the iron head big bore cylinders due to the bore size.I have access to CNC work in exchange for work from the machine shop I part time at.Anyway rattle,rattle.

Here's a link to a previous post with additional information and a picture.......

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...5-build-so-far
    Last edited by Greg; 01-04-2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added link

Thread Information