Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parkerizing, and how I do it.

dannybo Guest
    thanks chris. i am a newbie to all this stuff and that was an excellent explanation to parkerization, from what i've read. i just aquired a 23 and want to make it as original as possible.

Just reviewed this one last time. Thanks, Chris, for such a detailed explanation. The parts go in the pot this week.
    Moon Wolf

Possessor of many parts that used to be Harley Davidson Motorcycles and someday soon will be again, including a 1957 XL, 1961 XLH, 1962 XLH, 1965 XLH, 1968 XLH...

My way to Parkerize

I found a stainless fish poaching pan is big enough to Parkerize Harley footboards and other long pieces, but narrow so you don't have to heat so darn much solution. When I do small items I use a small round pan. I use a two-burner countertop electric cooker for heat and find an infrared non-contact thermometer to be just the ticket for checking temperatures. Except for the infrared thermometer I get this stuff at Goodwill.

Walt

Re: Parkerizing, and how I do it.

Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Can aluminum parts be treated? To the paint shaker,I pulled a Red Green the other day with an old roto tiller tank that was really rusty.I duct taped it to my lawn mower tire after I threw a bunch of nuts into it. It worked well and I got a chuckle to boot...

Quote Originally Posted by nmaineron View Post
    Can aluminum parts be treated?
    In a word, NO. Neither can brass or copper. Only Iron or Steel.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

You can do brass and copper and I did it on my bike. Although the Manganese does not penetrate like iron or steel, it gives it a really nice patina.

Quote Originally Posted by 38knuckle View Post
    You can do brass and copper and I did it on my bike. Although the Manganese does not penetrate like iron or steel, it gives it a really nice patina.
    I Parkerized a couple parts that has brazing on them. The steel Parkerized beautifully and the brass was bright and shiny. As my son once said, Parkerizing is like controlled rust. Brass and Copper don't rust.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

9. Re: Parkerizing, and how I do it.

Chris , thanks for the great post way back , wonderin how yer parkerizing has been holdin up after all these years ? I am finally getting close to the stage that I can start workin on my Servi. so far all of the hardware
    that I have removed & checked seems to be very good structurley ( no striped heads or vise grip marks ) so my plan is to just clean & reparkerize mine as in your instructions . looks like I could write a good size check to Colony for new hardware , or just redo mine & spend the $ on other parts
    tks
    animal
    "it the thunder don't get ya , the lightning will"

Thread Information