Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AMCA Forum starting to crack down. Or crack up.

AMCA Forum starting to crack down. Or crack up.

My membership in AMCA is current, I filled in their Big Brother given first and last name along with membership number, rather than drop my AMCA forum participation.
    I usually "stay signed in."
    Today, Nov. 13th, got in there as usual, not needing to give User Name and Password. I used the "advanced search" feature one time to try to look something up.
    The software wouldn't let me back in.

It wanted me to sign in anew. I gave it my correct information. NO GO!
    Four times and I gave up.

Used "contact administrator."

What we apparently have to look forward to with the Big Brother "just because we now can" computer-everything information vacuum cleaner mind set.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Re: AMCA Forum starting to crack down. Or crack up.

I got it ok today. Slow but got in.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

What are they afraid of?
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Are they trying to avoid the same fate we had here a while back?
    64 Duo-Glide

Quote Originally Posted by panacea View Post
    Are they trying to avoid the same fate we had here a while back?
    Man, if that's the case, I'm all for it! My ass still hurts!
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

The additional mandatory information they now request is bullshit and completely not necessary for login security purposes. As an AMCA member myself, and proud to one, I strongly suggest they post a liability disclaimer on hack protection and AMCA responsibilty to that affect, to protect the club from lawsuits. If the club is liable, the membership makes the payment. Good solid moderator screening is the best defence. Screening of all new members is a must. Absolutely no auto registrations ! Hackers ??? They will get in if they want in. No fence will keep a determined hacker out. Tearing down those newly hacker created openings, is a given task, which will come up every now and then, on all web forums. Hackers hack for information. The more personal information you provide, the more they obtain. It is just plain stupid to think your particular webmaster skills are as fine tuned as those who run banking software, etc.. And even those banking web tools offer insurance against hackers. They will pay for your losses. Why do they offer such insurance ? Because they know no web content is completely safe from hackers. Stupid....just plain stupid !

I had to sign in five times to get on to THIS SITE today. I have to manually sign in every time I visit THIS SITE. The AMCA site remembers who I am and automaticly signs me in.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    I had to sign in five times to get on to THIS SITE today. I have to manually sign in every time I visit THIS SITE. The AMCA site remembers who I am and automaticly signs me in.
    Interesting because the opposite is true for me. I use the stay logged in thing here and it works fine. Tried many, many times on the AMCA forum and has never once remembered. Constantly have to log in. Checked all my settings as well but still no go...

I never use stayed login options. Why ? Because cookies are involved. I dump all my web cookies constantly. Cookies are tracking tools. Not only do they make signing in un necessary, they provide a path to where you have been and where you are intending to go on the web. I realize it is a pain in the ass to login everytime you visit a site but the insurance gained from doing so is worth it. Remember !!! If a hacker gets into your computer, you provided a road map to where you were or have ever been ! This includes Ebay, Paypal, banks, websites where you made purchases, you name it, everywhere ! This is my real bitch with the AMCA mandatory personal information requests for posting. They are providing an access door for hackers ! Again...Plain Stupid !!!

" I had to sign in five times to get on to THIS SITE today. I have to manually sign in every time I visit THIS SITE. The AMCA site remembers who I am and automaticly signs me in."

Chris, your computer is clearing your "cookies" and when it does, it clears your login info. Check your settings.
    Last edited by Mr. Big; 11-13-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Thread Information