Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigincher's 1977 Stroker Shovel

Bigincher's 1977 Stroker Shovel

I don't mean to hijack, but do you mind if I show off my Shovelhead here? This is AMF at it's finest. Oh, except that I did a 'ground-up' on it back in '93, and there isn't much AMF left to it, sorry. This photo was last year.

52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

No need to hijack a thread when you can start your own.

Nice bike, how big is the engine and what brakes are you running on it?
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Uh-oh, the Hijack attempt failed!

The motor has the S&S Hot Set-up, 84 inches. Dual-plugged heads, Andrews B grind, Crane roller rockers, S&S Super-E, DynaTek 'S' Single-fire ignition and DynaTek coils. The brakes are Performance Machine 11" disk, 4-pot calipers front and rear. Yes we have no bananas. The tank emblem is way wrong of course, but of all the emblems ever designed by the MoCo, it's my favorite, so I put it on because I like how it looks. No, it's not the sticky-back mounting plate, I modified the original AMF mount to accept this one.
    This bike is a real runner. I bought it in 1987 bone stock, rode it to Daytona Beach and back (from Washington State) in 1992, and decided it needed more power, so tore the engine out. Then I decided to clean the frame up, had it powdercoated, then everything from there up rebuilt or replaced. Funny thing, the next year I bought a brand new Fatboy, so this bike hasn't gotten tons of miles on it since then.

Eventually I will give my new '52 the same treatment.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Eventually I will give my new '52 the same treatment.[/QUOTE]

NO!! Tell me you won't destroy that wonderful 1952!
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

"""Destroy"""????

I'm going to make it into what I want. I have that right. I'm not a damn spoiled rich kid with unlimited funds who plans on building an unridable museum bitch, I'm going to build a beautiful bike to ride, whenever and wherever I want. It will be as 'correct' as I can manage, and if you got a problem with that, too damn bad for you. Unless you want to donate the parts and funds to do a pristinely perfect "restoration", then you have no right to make such comments. I own the '52.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

oldskoolshovel Guest
    Two wonderful schools of thought being expressed about what's right for a classic scooter. I have this same discussion with a buddy of mine and we have it often. His thought is that any classic bike ought to be kept totally original. I know for a fact there are tons of guys who feel the same way and the thought process is not limited to classic bikes either. I hear it from lots of classic car guys too.

I had a '75 that was completely original and totally stock with less than 10,000 miles on it. I ended up selling it 2 years ago because I was afraid to ride it. My buddy thought I was crazy. I woudn't ride it because I was always worrying about dropping it or scratching the paint or that something would break and I would have to put a wrench on some of the bolts / nuts that the last time they had a wrench put on them was by an Mo. Co. / AMF employee. Not for me. Not now. I didn't have enough disposable income to keep it. I used the money to buy a '69 that needed some work and was priced accordingly.

My thought on the '69 that I'm working on right now is to make a bike as rideable, reliable and enjoyable as possible and be able to ride it as far and as often as I want. The original paint had already been taken care of (that is replaced) years ago so I had the freedom to paint it how I wanted inclcuding the color combination. I purchased an extra primary cover and cam cover and polished the replacements. I have polished the rocker boxes, the fork sliders, the nacelle, brake baking plate, etc. This is the look I'm after. At least for now.

While I can certainly appreciate Chris Hayne's perspective, I happen to subscribed to the theory of Big Incher. I'm going to build it to ride it. For now. And, I'll have to listen to my buddy how I screwed up such a nice bike.

oldskoolshovel Guest
    Oh yeah Big Incher, I like your scooter. A buddy of mine used that same emblem on his '96 FLHRP when he painted it. He rec'd a lot of comments about the looks of it.

Thanks for the good words, Oldskool. I remember well how this bike looked when I got it--- faded out paint, corroded engine parts, OEM bent tranny main shaft, huge ugly seat....... you know, "classic". (rolls eyes)
    When I do the '52, I will be a lot more careful to have the 'right' parts and pieces on it, with no modifiactions. But still it will be a rider, I'm not going to park it and wring my hands over it, or gloat about how "I got a such-n-such". Nome sain?
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Scooter Guest
    Bigincher, I really like the 77, it looks a lot like my 69. If it had drum brakes it would be almost an exact match.

As far as the 52 goes, I couldn't agree with you more. It belongs to you and anyway you decide to go with it will be fine with me. I don't get too hung up on what's original. I do like all original bikes but I really don't care to own one.
    I'm just an old guy with one bike and it's mine. Anyone that don't like anything about it is free to look the other way.

Scooter

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post
    Thanks for the good words, Oldskool. I remember well how this bike looked when I got it--- faded out paint, corroded engine parts, OEM bent tranny main shaft, huge ugly seat....... you know, "classic". (rolls eyes)
    When I do the '52, I will be a lot more careful to have the 'right' parts and pieces on it, with no modifiactions. But still it will be a rider, I'm not going to park it and wring my hands over it, or gloat about how "I got a such-n-such". Nome sain?

Making a rider is no problem. But doing things like you did on your other rider such as "The motor has the S&S Hot Set-up, 84 inches. Dual-plugged heads, Andrews B grind, Crane roller rockers, S&S Super-E, DynaTek 'S' Single-fire ignition and DynaTek coils. The brakes are Performance Machine 11" disk, 4-pot calipers front and rear." would be sacrilege.
    You did say "Eventually I will give my new '52 the same treatment." This was my concern.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Thread Information