Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycle Cannonball Day Four

Motorcycle Cannonball Day Four

OK, we are in Chattanooga, TN next to Coker Tire. Long and tiring day today. About 200 miles out of Maggie Valley, NC over some of the steepest mountains I have ever ridden on - some over 500 feet.

Went from cool in Maggie Valley - low 40s to VERY cold in the mountains - perhaps mid to high 30s. The very hot in Tennessee - 90 degrees or so.

Dave Fusiak and I are still running with perfect scores, And so are 15 other riders, one less than yesterday. Tough work but we are giving it our best efforts.

Selma, my 1915 Harley ran like a champ. She is over oiling, so instead of the typical 3 pumps of oil after ever sump drain I have been giving her only or or even a half a pump and it has worked out well. Except today when we then went up a very steep mountain. And my engine seized towards the top.

I felt the seizure coming so I stomped on the foot clutch and began hand pumping oil into the engine. As the engine began to cool down I carefully kicked it over and was pleased that it had not locked solid. I added more oil and then tried to gently kick the engine over. After a few kicks Selma came alive and I let her idle and pull up the oil to the pistons. Then I rode her quite gently for about 20 miles before I had confidence in her ability again.

I added a little extra Marvel Mystery Oil to the next gas tank. She actually seems a bit faster and smoother after the seize than before.

At Coker Tires shop I was able to go over the bike, checking and djusting everything. The plugs looked good and no metal in the oil. I guess I got lucky this time. Off to Alabama tomorrow. Wish us luck.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Re: Motorcycle Cannonball Day Four

Thanks for the report Buzz, did you bring a camera? Have you heard if Matt Olson got his sears fixed? Wait, Sears are guaranteed for life right?...Mike
    64 Duo-Glide

Mountains over 500 feet, Buzz? "You ain't seen nuthin' yet," eh? You got the Rockies and Sierra Madres, yet (well, Southern extremes). You're getting a good break-in and intro to some reeeeeeal long distance riding coming up, Buzz. Good luck!

The Marvel Mystery Oil sounds like a good, routine additive in your 95 year old motor, being flogged 200 miles-a-day. Good "finishing" insurance! Best of luck as you see the U.S.A. !!! We're all rootin' for ya!
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Sarge, I bet he meant 5000 ft...Mike
    64 Duo-Glide

Waiting for you in New Mexico Buzz! And where you are going through is pretty flat, only 5000 ft. I live at 7000 and its all up from here!
    Keep up the good work and give Selma a little kiss tonight!
    Robbie

Makes my dream of cross country on my 56 Pan seem pretty tame!
    Dave Swanson

1936 VLH
    1936 VD
    1956 FLH
    1956 KHK
    1964 XLCH
    1969 FLH
    1984 FLH

Thanks for the report. How's the rest of the fleet of 1915's doing? Which one do you think is going to be the winner? Rich has been ride his for many years but Fred is a go getter and knows how to build a good motor. U and Dave are hot on the trail. Them 15's kick ass, been riding them for years and there the best of the J's. All them belt drives will be sliping in to the ditch as the 3 speeds slide on buy.
    Last edited by terry marsh; 09-14-2010 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by panacea View Post
    Sarge, I bet he meant 5000 ft...Mike
    Sorry about the typo. Yes, I meant 5,000 feet mountains.
    Buzz Kanter

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Quote Originally Posted by terry marsh View Post
    Thanks for the report. How's the rest of the fleet of 1915's doing? Which one do you think is going to be the winner? Rich has been ride his for many years but Fred is a go getter and knows how to build a good motor. U and Dave are hot on the trail. Them 15's kick ass, been riding them for years and there the best of the J's. All them belt drives will be sliping in to the ditch as the 3 speeds slide on buy.
    Terry I am so pleased I took your advice on this before picking the best bike to build and ride. 1915 Harleys are dominating this run. Fewer 1915 Harleys broken than all the others combined. I seldom see a 1915 Harley on the side of the road (unless it runs out of gas) but see many of the others there regularly.

Most of the 1915 Harleys are still running strong. No way to guess who might take top honors - so many strong bikes and good riders on them. Dale Walksler's machine seems pretty robust, but then again, most of the 1915s are rocking!
    Buzz Kanter

Great to hear that You & Dave still are in the running. With perfect scores no less. Is Selma getting easier to kickstart now that she's had several days of cross country riding to "loosen" her up ? Good luck to you Buzz. Stars & Stripes Forever !!

Thread Information