Thread: Dixie Distributing Company

Dixie Distributing Company

For those of you who have never visited Dixie Distributing Company, here it is. A full city block full of H-D, International Truck parts, used forklifts and a million tons of other stuff Harry has bought over the years. Everything inside this building is for sale. There are no lights other than in the office and shipping room. No running water. No windows open for ventilation. Sometimes the elevators work.

Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Re: Dixie Distributing Company

chris, can you just stop by and look around if you dont have any specific m/c in mind or how does it work. do you have any inside pics.

Harry is such a cool dude. He's the fella that bought all of the WWII harley and indian surplus parts from the gov't. Last time he was down at the museum, he brought like 9 crates of hd 45 pistons. I don't think we'll ever use them all.

Rumor has it that he was indicted something like 7 times by the Feds after he bought all those parts. The way he describes it is that they were pissed that he got such a good deal. From what I understand, they never got anywhere with the charges.

I'd love to get up to his place sometime........he's got 1,000,000 square feet loaded with parts.
    Matt Walksler

'38 Knucklehead -- '39 WLDD
    '41 ULH -- '53 Panhead
    '16 J-model Cutdown (in progress) -- '49 Dual-Carb Panhead (in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by MattWalksler View Post
    Harry is such a cool dude. He's the fella that bought all of the WWII harley and indian surplus parts from the gov't. Last time he was down at the museum, he brought like 9 crates of hd 45 pistons. I don't think we'll ever use them all.

Rumor has it that he was indicted something like 7 times by the Feds after he bought all those parts. The way he describes it is that they were pissed that he got such a good deal. From what I understand, they never got anywhere with the charges.

I'd love to get up to his place sometime........he's got 1,000,000 square feet loaded with parts.
    Matt, when I was kid (I'd venture to say before you were born ) there were always ads in the back of magazines like Popular Mechanics, and the like, for Harley 45s for sale in the crate. Do ya suppose it was Harry that had all those Army Surplus 45s for sale abck then?? I'm talking in the 1960s....
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Triangle out of the Chicago area had most of those engines, but there were a few other shops that had some. The old dealer out of Houston had them piled floor to ceiling. Shelby Withrow ended up with all that stuff.
    Robbie

Here are a couple pages from an old Dixie catalogue. I like the NOS horns at $2.95 each or $1.95 if you buy 25 of them.

Last edited by Chris Haynes; 07-31-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Where is/was Dixie located at?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigincher View Post
    Matt, when I was kid (I'd venture to say before you were born ) there were always ads in the back of magazines like Popular Mechanics, and the like, for Harley 45s for sale in the crate. Do ya suppose it was Harry that had all those Army Surplus 45s for sale abck then?? I'm talking in the 1960s....
    I would imagine that those were being sold by Harry. He may have also sold those engines to Triangle in Chi, but I'm not sure.

I love the old catalogue spread Chris. XA/WLC forks for 18 bucks!
    Matt Walksler

'38 Knucklehead -- '39 WLDD
    '41 ULH -- '53 Panhead
    '16 J-model Cutdown (in progress) -- '49 Dual-Carb Panhead (in progress)

Quote Originally Posted by azscoutrider View Post
    Where is/was Dixie located at?
    400 West High St.
    Springfield, OH 45506
    937 322 0033
    Wholesale to dealers only.
    PS It is pretty brutal in that building during the summer. No ventilation, no water, no lights, lots of dust and fire residue. Opening windows is forbidden. Before and after Wauseon and Davenport there are a lot of bodies digging through what is left trying to find burried treasure. If ya want WLA transmission sprockets, std. pistons, ETC. this is the place for you. All the good stuff was cherry picked years ago.
    Did I mention that Harry has another warehouse in FL? He bought Florida Cycle Supply many years ago and it for the most part is just sitting there. He goes down once in a while to bring some stuff to Springfield.
    Last edited by Chris Haynes; 07-31-2010 at 05:17 PM.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

10. Re: Dixie Distributing Company

love that place. i bought stuff from dixie as recent as 5 years ago, just before i sold my shop. i have also been to florida cycle supply years back. theres also a pretty cool place in floral city, florida. i think its called morrows.wait i think i'm confusing the name with carl morrow also out of florida, but its similar.i will repost the correct name when i remember. its an old motorcycle and medical/ military equiptment junk yard. i was there about 7 years ago.its crazy huge with a sea of import bikes and equiptment of all types. its also has lots of old harley stuff, but the problem is that most of the good stuff has been picked years ago.its like 1 old dude there and all the stuff. there is litterally stuff just strewn about the ground there and some stuff half burried under dirt. there is also a bunch of enclosed storage pods full of stuff, a covered concrete area for the complete bikes and big item parts, and one store front type building full of n.o.s. hd and vintage aftermarket parts. very cool place, i could spend several days camped out there and digging. i would be happier than a 5 year old on a really good christmas morning. lats time there i got a complete 68 xlch running motor for $750.00

Thread Information