Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shovelhead carb problem

newt Guest

shovelhead carb problem

I have a 1980 shovel that i had some head work done on the front cylinder. Put it back together and now my carb is acting up.The carb was fine before the head work. It is a stock Keihn carb. It seems to be pumping too much gas into it. I adjusted the full mix screw and idel screw to were its ideling fine. But going down the road it sputters BAD. Like its flooding it self out. Does anyone have an answer for me. I am new on this site and like to thank everyone who welcome me on. Seems like a very good site, informitive, and very friendly. Ride safe.Newt

2. Re: shovelhead carb problem

Hope there is no manifold leak...Bones
    BONES47FL
    '46 Chief
    '47 FL

Re: shovelhead carb problem

You just have to think about what was worked on, what's different now from what it was before, and what has been taken apart? Carbs don't just decide to un-adjust themselves sitting on the bench for a few weeks, even the Keihn's aren't that devious. So, about all that leaves is the intake seals and the pushrods, right? I avoid the term "intake leak", so perhaps you should check for a "compromise in the induction system"....

Some carburators (and I don't know if the Keihn has this) have a small standpipe in the throat of the carb where the accellerator pump nozzle is located. It's important that the nozzle is aimed down the center of the throat, and not off to one side or the other.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

4. Re: shovelhead carb problem

The guys are most likely right. Removing the head for work means removing the intake, so check for a leak. Start it and spray carb cleaner around the manifold seals see if it chokes and stumbles.

Quote Originally Posted by 64Panhead View Post
    Removing the head for work means removing the intake, so check for a leak. Start it and spray carb cleaner around the manifold seals see if it chokes and stumbles.
    Have you ever actually had success in testing for a 'compromised intake tract' in that way? Care must be taken than none of the 'product' is introduced through the carb's air intake, or it will show the same symptoms. Personally, I prefer a blockoff plate and a slight amount of air pressure introduced into the intake tract, then squirt soapy water around the connections. There is no guessing when tested in this manner.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

6. Re: shovelhead carb problem

I have the plate with an attachment for air hose also. I was simply suggesting a simpler method, for those who don't have the adapter plate. I have had success testing a intake tract that way, it works well as long as you take care to keep the carb cleaner from being sucked in the air cleaner.

newt Guest

Thanks guys for the info. Yes i did check the intake for leaks. All was fine. Then after running it, still trying to figure it out, gas came out of the over fill tube after i shut it off. So taking the carb off AGAIN. I replaced the float needle valve and set the float to proper seting. Now all is fine. After talking to a few old timers the float neddle valve is a common problem with the keihn carbs. I have a very good feeling this keihn will be replaced with an SS very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by newt View Post
    I have a very good feeling this keihn will be replaced with an SS very soon.
    I'll have to give a big ol' nod to that...!
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

9. Re: shovelhead carb problem

Glad to hear you got it figured out. Been through those carb problems myself, know a lot more about em now though lol. Tinkering on em is no big deal now.

newt Guest

I have to agree with you on that 64Panhead. Me and my son must of fooled with it for hours. But we shouldn't have to worry about it anymore because I have decided to put an S&S on so we won't have anymore trouble. Ride safe.. Newt

Thread Information