Thread: John Parham Health Issues - J&P Cycles

John Parham Health Issues - J&P Cycles

My friend John Parham is a long time supporter of the classic motorcycle hobby. He and his wife Jill founded J&P Cycles in Anamosa, IA. Among other things they also created the National Motorcycle Museum and Hall of Fame (which I am honored to have been inducted into).

A few years ago John, who had breathing issues for some time, was diagnosed with a lung disease that is often fatal. He did what he could to treat it and had some degree of success. Earlier this year he had other, unrelated serious medical problems and caught pneumonia in the hospital. This is bad for otherwise healthy people, and real bad for those with lung issues.

To make along story short, John, who now must breath with an oxygen tank at his side, needs a lung transplant to live. It has been pretty touch and good for the last few months.

On Friday (the day before he opened the amazing relocated and expanded National Motorcycle Museum in Anamosa, IA) he got the call from the hospital telling him he has been put on the list to get a lung and he was fortunate enough to be placed high on the list. Great news indeed.

So now he might get the call and day now. When he does he and his wonderful wife Jill have to drop everything and get to the Cleveland Clinic.

If you know John, you know what a decent, honest, smart and hard working guy he is. He started J&P Cycles by selling parts at swap meets out of the back of his van. He had built an amazing business.

Knowing how generous he has always been, and how active and proactive he is, I was not surprised when John told me he'd like to do whatever he can to promote motorcyclists to give serious consideration to signing up as organ donors.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Re: John Parham Health Issues - J&P Cycles

John will be in the best hands the world can offer him at the CC. I signed up years ago as a donor. I just hope I have some parts left worth worth using when the time comes.

I don't know John, but I went to the old museum a few years back while at Davenport. I was given a discount because I could prove I was a Veteran. I cannot recall many other places that give a flip if you served or not. That meant alot to me personally. I wish him the best and hope he and Jill get to spend many more blissful years together. If you read his story in their catelouge it appears John is just an 'ol scooter tramp who made good selling stuff at swaps outta the back of his van to the multi-milloin dollar business he has created today. I am glad one of us made it big! And Buzz, if you talk to him, please tell him his policy towards Veterans made this 'ol Trooper feel like somebody cared about what we did.
    I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure - Clarence Darrow

"All that a fella has to do, is ride into that Union Camp, raise his right hand and swear as such that you'll be loyal to the United States, and he can take up his horse again, and go home." Yeah, Right...

1947 Indian Chief
    2012 Indian Chief

Quote Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
    I don't know John, but I went to the old museum a few years back while at Davenport. I was given a discount because I could prove I was a Veteran. I cannot recall many other places that give a flip if you served or not. That meant alot to me personally. I wish him the best and hope he and Jill get to spend many more blissful years together. If you read his story in their catelouge it appears John is just an 'ol scooter tramp who made good selling stuff at swaps outta the back of his van to the multi-milloin dollar business he has created today. I am glad one of us made it big! And Buzz, if you talk to him, please tell him his policy towards Veterans made this 'ol Trooper feel like somebody cared about what we did.
    You got it. And he really is like that about people. One amazing guy who never forgot his roots.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Thread Information