Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1980 FLH Shovelhead questions

Re: 1980 FLH Shovelhead questions

Micmac, I was under the impression that in '79 both models were available. Maybe the 80-inch was a 'late' offering, I don't know for sure. Or perhaps only on certain models. My buddy has a completely original 1979 FLH 80-incher--- he bought it new off Smiling Jack Fringer's showroom floor in Pasco. That much I know, but beyond that, I don't know the particulars.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Quote Originally Posted by Micmac View Post
    I bought a 1981 FLHS brand new from HD of Charlotte. "The Eagle Soars Alone" was the motto that year.
    "The Eagle Soars Alone" was the slogan for 1982 model year when the new company bought H-D from AMF. Of course this happened in June of 1981 but it was the beginning of the 1982 model years production.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

I believe there were both 74s and 80s in 1979.I know of people that had the Creme colored model that were in both sizes.

dry, welcome to the forum. If you have a 1980 FLH-80 (1340) your VIN may be something like 3G12345J0:

3G indicates FLH-80
    12345 indicates the sequential production number
    J represents the manufacturer
    0 indicates 1980

Good photos of both VINs (frame and engine) and the rest of the bike will help us identify what you’ve got. If you’re concerned about your VINs appearing on the Net just cover the last two or three sequential characters.

The 80 cubic inch H-D Shovelhead was apparently first introduced for some 1978 models—possibly mid-year—in the FL series although the 74 ci was still available. The triangle shaped washer (spacer) referred to earlier appears in the 1941-84 FL catalog as #16836-78, along with cylinder base stud #16837-78 and locknut #16838-78. The same catalog also lists cylinder and piston combinations indicating the 80 cubic inch Shovel first appeared as a 1978 model.

In the FX series, the 80 ci Shovel apparently first appeared for some 1979 models although the 74 ci was still available.

The last year for the 74 ci Shovel seems to have been 1980 for both the FL series and the FX series. Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    "The Eagle Soars Alone" was the slogan for 1982 model year when the new company bought H-D from AMF. Of course this happened in June of 1981 but it was the beginning of the 1982 model years production.
    I shall refrain from further comments on HD's unless of course it is smart a$$ comments. I am not an expert, just a guy who bought one a few times against my better judgement.
    I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure - Clarence Darrow

"All that a fella has to do, is ride into that Union Camp, raise his right hand and swear as such that you'll be loyal to the United States, and he can take up his horse again, and go home." Yeah, Right...

1947 Indian Chief
    2012 Indian Chief

They surely did sell those "Eagle Soars Alone" shirts in Mid 1981.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

dry Guest

Quote Originally Posted by nmaineron View Post
    If yours is an FLH then the Nacelle ,head light cover, and the fork covers as well as the heavy front end was a stock application.

You should get somewhere around 45-50 miles a gallon depending how your carb is setup and how you ride and no the S&S was not stock.

I personally think that the biggest issue with this machine would be the rear brakes.They called the rear caliper a banana caliper and it really stunk.You may get lucky and have a good setup but they were prone to freezing on and frying the disc.There are a few products that can be gotten to remedy the problem but IMHO the best option is to use them as a boat anchor!

I hope this helped you out some.Ron
    Ron, I appreciate the information,I do have the heavy wide front end with the nacelle healight and covers, and Yes i think i still have the banana caliper that sits on a chrome spring, the rear brake rotor on this bike is warped bad and needs to be replaced i have another like new harley disc rotor that i was going to put on it this weekend BUT it is a 11.5" Rotor and has counter sunk bolt holes and the ones on the bike are 10" and the bolt holes are not counter sunk, so i couldn't see any way to make it fit......"anybody want to swap a nice 10" harley rotor for this 11.5" harley rotor i can't use??

Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
    dry, welcome to the forum. If you have a 1980 FLH-80 (1340) your VIN may be something like 3G12345J0:

3G indicates FLH-80
    12345 indicates the sequential production number
    J represents the manufacturer
    0 indicates 1980

Good photos of both VINs (frame and engine) and the rest of the bike will help us identify what you’ve got. If you’re concerned about your VINs appearing on the Net just cover the last two or three sequential characters.

Eric
    Eric, thanks for the info as well, i will post up some vin info and some pics, i need all the help i can get, I think this bike is really pretty cool definately old school.......
    Last edited by dry; 06-01-2010 at 12:39 PM. Reason: *

8. Re: 1980 FLH Shovelhead questions

Hello!
    1978 model catalog has nothing about 80 cu, neither does the 75th Anniversary leaflet from 1978.

"80 cubic inches for 1978... anything else is less."
    AMF Harley-Davidson The Special Edition FLH-80/Electra Glide II came out in the middle of 1978 (1978½) and that was the first 80 cu Shovel. It even had it's own 1978½ Owners Manual! BTW those were all painted Black Cherry special color...

For 1979 and 1980 FLH-74 and FLH-80 were both available. In 1981 74 cu was gone, and so was AMF era also in July, and 80 cu was only option.

I'm restoring 1979 FLH-80 and while I was looking for the missing parts I also collected some AMF literature. Nowadays I have almost complete "library" of AMF era model and accessory catalogs. It kind a got out of hands :-)

cheers,
    JARI
    if you like to see my project, follow the link
    Picasa-verkkoalbumit - Jari - 1979 FLH-80

9. Re: 1980 FLH Shovelhead questions

the first 80 ci Shovel came in the middle of 1978. Only model I have seen in brochures was AMF Harley-Davidson FLH-80 /Electra Glide II
    "80 cubic inches for 1978... anything else is less." But I've seen Owners Manual for 1978½ FL/FLH...
    Weird enough, 1978 model catalog has only FLH-74 and so does 75th Anniversary booklet. Of course it would have been too obvious to have FLH-80 as anniversary model
    In 1979 and 1980 model catalogs have both FLH-74 and FLH-80 but in 1981 catalog has only FLH-80. Ans, as we all know, in the middle of 1981 AMF sold it's share of company and "Eagle soared alone"

I'm restoring a 1979 FLH-80 and at some point last winter catalog-mania (models & accessories) got out of hands Now I have practically catalogs from every AMF year and I have to say they are nice to read and browse.

If you can't find original 1978½-80 factory manual (AMF), 1978½-84 factory manual (MoCo) is still available and it's easy to find (amazon etc).

JARI
    p.s. I finally got mine out of garage! Follow the link if you want to see more...
    Picasa-verkkoalbumit - Jari - 1979 FLH-80

Thread Information