Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running Shovelhead Project For Sale

Running Shovelhead Project For Sale

I bought a complete and running but rough 1971 Shovelhead as a possible project for American Iron Magazine. We have decided not to use it as a project as it will be more work than we are prepared to takle at this time.

So I am going to sell or ebay it.

It does run. BUT... battery is stone dead, electric starter does not work (we we don't know why - might be easy or tough repair). Home made wiring - needs a lot to be desired. Leaks all over the place. S&S carb.

We will be rebuilding the old juice rear brakes as a "how to" article in American Iron Magazine in the next couple of weeks, then it's for sale.

Looking to get $6,000 for it - complete, rough but running. I can supply photos if you are serious about buying it.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Forum Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Harley magazine
    Classic Harley Classic Harley Info
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

You're about 5000 sideways----- If you were 3000 miles closer and asking 2000 dollars less, I'd ask to see the photos. As it is, you'll have to sell it without me, but thanks for asking. Got any lines on a '52 Panhead?
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

I helped friend of mine get a '52 a few years ago, from an older local gent that hadn't ridden it in over 20 years. He had decided to finally sell it because his wife was sick, and they could use the money. My friend just lives down the road a few miles, and works in the press room of our local paper. He passes my house about 5 every morning on the way to work. I love hearing that old machine go by! What I like is finding a local bike, and keeping it that way. Good luck!
    Mike

That's a nice story, warms my heart. Since '52 is my birth year, I kinda had it in the back of my mind I needed a '52 Pan, and something a little closer to stock than my '59 Pan/Knuck. I also like any year Hydraglide.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Evo secret components? That says Head Quarters to me. Those guys DO evos! The right way. Mike

$6,000 for a running Shovelhead doesn't seem crazy to me.

What's it worth in parts? My guess is the engine, tranny & primary are worth $4,000. The rolling chassis, if it's not too boogered up, with tin, brakes and wheels has to be worth $2,500 or more.
    Ride your motorcycle like you stole it.

Classic Harley magazine

Didn't mean to look like I'm dissing the 6 grand price tag--- it's very reasonable. Just not for me, primarily because I already have a cherry Shovel, and I am so far away, too.

"Secret Components" cannot be discussed or they wouldn't be secret. It goes good for an 80-incher. Heads are not stock, the stock heads are new in a box.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Bobber59 Guest

Price.

Pogo Seat...just a thought here.

I'm not dissing the man's price either...BUT...your theory is OK only IF YOU ARE BUYING IT TO PART IT OUT..which is NOT a good investment just for that purpose (Labor? Time? Advertising? Packing, yada, yada, yada!)

If you continue to sink $$$ to restore it...that certainly will add up depending on if you do ALL of it yourself and to what degree you want to restore it to!

There are many good looking, running & road worthy Shovels out here for less or same $$$...that's ALL...AGAIN, no diss. A man's asking price is a man's asking price...if you are a serious buyer and you have trouble with that, just look elsewhere. my $.02

Bobber59

UOTE=pogo seat;1564]$6,000 for a running Shovelhead doesn't seem crazy to me.

What's it worth in parts? My guess is the engine, tranny & primary are worth $4,000. The rolling chassis, if it's not too boogered up, with tin, brakes and wheels has to be worth $2,500 or more.[/QUOTE]

$6000 is way too high in my opinion. Until someone fixed correctly all that is wrong with it they would have more into it than what it is worth. Shovels are my favorite however they do not command the high dollar like a Pan, Knuck or even a Evo. Unless it is a stone stock original paint low mile bike only then does the price climb closer to the others. Again this is just my opinion.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

with the prices of old bikes, i think any big twin for $6k would be worth looking into. the younger kids can't afford the $20k bikes, so the shovelheads are a good place to start.

just my .02 worth
    CHIEFJ48

TO THE WORLD YOU MAY BE ONE PERSON, BUT TO ONE PERSON YOU MAY BE THE WORLD

LIFE IS NOT MEASURED BY THE NUMBER OF BREATHS WE TAKE, BUT BY THE MOMENTS THAT TAKE OUR BREATH AWAY

Thread Information