Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traub History

Question Traub History

Online history of the Traub cycle has two conflicting stories. One locates the discovery behind a brick wall in a building on Chicago's Paulina Street in 1966(also 1967, 1968 and 1969). The other describes the finding of the stolen cycle under a porch in Cicero. If the bike was stolen wouldn't the owner have spread the word? A plumber was the discoverer in either story. Which is true? I lived on 2 block long Paulina Street for a year starting in early 1969 and never heard of the finding. All of the buildings lining the street are very old 3 story apartments and housed mostly young people at that time. It seems the talented creator had hidden it there and gone off to war never to return. Those buildings were pretty ritzy when built. Anyone?

Re: Traub History

When Bud Ekins bought the Traub Twin the story that came with it was that it was found inside a wall in Chicago. I think Dale owns the bike now.
    There is also information on an earlier Traub Single that was found in an ancient motorcycle magazine. None in the flesh though.
    If the bike had been a recovered stolen machine it would have been returned to the owner or insurance company.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

There I go jumping to conclusions again. Upon looking at a map, I find that Paulina Street is actually made up of several unconnected segments extending North and South throughout Chicago making it difficult to pinpoint the building. It would make sense that the building was owned by the cyclesmith's family.

The Traub is here at Wheels Through Time Museum and doing well. Runs fantastic......80" side-valve machine with unique 3 speed transmission. The entire bike is a work of art.

The article that Chris is referring to is the July Issue of Motorcycle Illustrated, 1907. In the "Correspondence" section, a man writes of a single cylinder, single speed machine that he build entirely on his own. I love the commentary....."Also find enclosed picture and specifications of a motorcycle made by myself throughout, engine and all. I worked on this cycle about one year, putting in time only between 7p.m. and 11p.m. I also worked Sundays.

(It would seem that he was not necessarily a motorcycle dealer/mechanic/builder by trade, as he did all his work on evenings and on Sundays.)

"This motorcycle has no wonderful qualities, but will run as good as any 4-horsepower machine I know of".

He then lists the specs and signs his letter:

Richard Traut
    749 North Paulina St.
    Chicago, IL

It would seem that his signature was a typo, and if you look at the script on the tank of the traub here at the museum, you can see how it could be confused. The kicker is that he signed it 749 Paulina St, which is the street where the bike was found. We have documentation that several Traubs lived on Paulina street during the early 1900s-1920s. However, there is no concrete evidence linking Richard Traub to the Traub here at the museum.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt Walksler

'38 Knucklehead -- '39 WLDD
    '41 ULH -- '53 Panhead
    '16 J-model Cutdown (in progress) -- '49 Dual-Carb Panhead (in progress)

We did find this though......

The photo is not dated nor is the location specified.

!?!?!?!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Matt Walksler

'41 ULH -- '53 Panhead

It would seem that his signature was a typo, and if you look at the script on the tank of the traub here at the museum, you can see how it could be confused.

Matt,
    If I remember correctly, Bud had those tank transfers made when he repainted the bike.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Well, hopefully Bud had enough of the original paint to work with, maybe even remnants of a decal or logo on the tank. I suppose its also possible that he just made up that pretty logo out of nowhere. I got to talk to Bud a little about the Traub before he passed, a few years back at Las Vegas Auction. We didn't touch on the paint though. Wish he was still here.....I've got lots of questions.

What do you think of the photo? Its the first time I've ever posted it online. Can anyone identify any of the bikes in the photo. Its almost impossible to nail down the one in back, but I think that is the Traub from the 1907 Motorcycle Illustrated article. Looks like it could be Mr. Traub next to it, when you compare the two photos.
    Matt Walksler

'41 ULH -- '53 Panhead

Quote Originally Posted by MattWalksler View Post
    Well, hopefully Bud had enough of the original paint to work with, maybe even remnants of a decal or logo on the tank.
    The bike was pretty rusty. I don't recall if it had an original transfer or if the original transfer was readable or not.
    BTW, Bud had a fellow named Kenny Howard working in his shop during that time. Kenny was a very creative fellow. Perhaps he helped design the logo. Some people called him Von Dutch.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member

Too cool man..... That would almost make it better than if it were original.
    Matt Walksler

'41 ULH -- '53 Panhead

Hi Matt,

I didn't realize the Traub had been repainted. If I remember correctly there is a good size dent in the tank which I would guess happened after Bud repainted the bike. Do you know the origin ofthe dent (just curious).

Thanks,

joe

Thread Information