Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some pics of my ride

bbhf Guest

Some pics of my ride

Thought i would post a couple of pics of my panhead: thanks to all who have given me advice: as for the regulator issue, i put on a solid state one that i had in the shop: it works: the old Bosch type is shot: i left the wiring so i can change if i have to: it starts and runs great but it takes me million kicks to get going: and at 90 degrees i start looking for the button: she will offer but most kicks produce nothing but frustration: have good compression, points set, plugs ok, new coil: any thoughts????? thanks again: bbhf
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Some pics of my ride

Nice ride Bro !! I like it a lot. Paps

Nice bike!

As for the starting, ---- well, as with any machine, it's all about the state of tune it's in. Could be any number of issues, so you just have to start with the basics and work through it.
    I wonder if the battery is somewhat weak, since you just cured a no-charge problem. Put the battery on a good 2-amp charger for 24 hours to be sure that's not the cause. A weak battery will make for hard starting-- Yes, on a kicker.
    I see you have an S&S carb, you'll want to get it tuned to the motorcycle, if it isn't already. If you haven't figured out the start sequence, some trial and error may be needed to find out what that motor likes.

Good luck, we're all here to help...!
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Good looking Pan. Where are you in Connecticut?

I am in Stamford.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

i have 3 or 4 customers with kick start only S&S and i had to shut the accelerator pump almost off to get them to start easy. i think that the t shaped intake holds too much gas and keeps it flooded. try turning the screw in all the way on the pump or just turn the mechanical idle screw in a half turn and don't twist the throttle at all before you kick and see if it starts easier. these guys now just push it through and it starts good

bbhf Guest

Buzz: i am in norwalk: we should meet: Paps: thanks: Bigincher: i think you nailed it and i will have to go through each item and make sure it is up to snuff: i am thinking i don't have this S&S carb thing down: i have an old linkert laying around: i wonder if i should run it: it would need rebuilding: this motor has a b-grind cam: would a linkert work? keep in touch: bbhf

bbhf Guest

flat-happy: good advice: i will look at the S&S manual and see what i can do: i was thinking that because of the long "T" i should squirt more fuel: oops: bbhf

I think you'll like the S&S if you can get the starting procedure down, and should get pretty decent fuel economy if it's jetted right. Biggest improvement it has over the Linkert is the accellerator pump. Linkert is a fine carb, simple straight-forward functionality.
    The 'B' grind is a pretty healthy cam; the heads must've been worked on, as spring spacing is required. Sucker probably runs like a scalded dog, huh?
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Looks good!! You will get worked out.. Nice ride!

77 FXE Super Glide
    Confederate Edition
    Yea it's the real deal.
    228 Super Glides Made

bbhf Guest

I must correct myself on the cam: its an A-grind: so it is a mild cam: sorry: the motor was done a few years back: i had to look at the paperwork: i read the carb manual and will adjust the pump screw and see what happens: bbhf

Thread Information