Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pewter Run Vintage Motorcycle Ride in New Hampshire

Pewter Run Vintage Motorcycle Ride in New Hampshire

I'd like to invite anyone and everyone here on this classic motorcycle forum to join me and the others at this year's Pewter Run on Sunday September 6th in Hillsborough, New Hampshire.

This will be the first time I am participating but this will be the 5th annual running of it.

The Pewter Run, a celebration of "The First Fifty Years of Motorcycling" is a "road relaibility trial and an opportunity for owners to use our classic motorcycles in the manner they were intended."

The rules are loosely based on the VMCC's Banbury Run and Sunbeam MCC's Pioneer Run in England. There are five classes as follows:

Class A: Veteran. Motorcycles manufactured before December 1914.
    Class B: Early Vintage. Motorcycles from 1915 to 1924.
    Class C: Late Vintage. Motorcycles from 1925 to 1920.
    Class D: Post Vintage. Motorcycles from 1930 to 1949.
    Class E: Post 1950**. **Entires subject to approval by event coordinator. Please send photo and description.

Each rider is given a route sheet with a map and written direction for the course. Riders start at timed intervals and a pewter trophy is presented in each class for the rider who comes closest to a pre-determined time without being under that time.

Entry form can be had on-line at http://www.race-uscra.com/events/200...orm%202009.pdf

I am considering competing on my 1924 Harley JDCA in the Class B: Early Vintage group. Anyone else interested in joing me in the fun?
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Forum Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Harley magazine
    Classic Harley Classic Harley Info
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Re: Pewter Run Vintage Motorcycle Ride in New Hampshire

Should be a great ride. My aunt and uncle live just down the road and they took us out to that area a few years back. If you get a chance, drive up to the Mt Washington observatory. Heck of a view. They used to have a Pike's Peak style roadrace up the mountain in years past. That would take real guts! Take the ole JDCA out for a ride in the country. Good luck!
    Last edited by Dave Morrill; 07-29-2009 at 08:09 AM.
    Dave Morrill
    Sylacauga, AL. USA.

Deadly Dave's Blog
    Lost Stories of Early American Motorcycling.

http://dlmracing.blogspot.com/

1921 Harley-Davidson Model J Racer

It will break a hundred, if dropped from an airplane!

If plans hold together I will be trying my hand at this (a first for me) on my 1924 Harley JDCA and my pal Jim Sims might ride either my 1947 Harley Knucklehead or my 1948 Panhead. Should be fun.

Here is a photo of a 1910 Harley single from a previous Pewter Run.

And an old Harley flathead at the same event.

Anyone else able to join us at the Pewter Run as riders or observers?

Here is a link to the web site home page for the Pewter Run http://pewterrun.com/
    Buzz Kanter

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

4. Re: Pewter Run Vintage Motorcycle Ride in New Hampshire

I might be there on my '47 Chief if I can shuffle a couple other commitments around and the weather is half decent(far from a given in New England this year!)
    Tom

I have heard from a few fellow vintage Harley and Indian motorcycle enthusiasts off line about possibly joining us with more vintage motorcycles and one suggested we start an American Iron team, which I am all for.

Anyone else able to join us at the Pewter Run event in a few weeks?
    Buzz Kanter

Well the vintage bike weekend is almost upon us so I figured I'd better make sure my old 1924 Harley was ready and not likely to let me down in front of all the other riders and spectators. So this evening I pulled it out of the garage and into the sun. I hadn't started it in more than a month, but when I put it away it was starting on one kick and running great (thanks to Dav Fusiak at Flat Out Motorbikes).

A few days earlier I topped off and charged up the battery, which seemed to be holding a decent charge. I checked the gas and oil, which were fine. Turned on the gas petcock and let the old Schebler carburetor fill. Choke fully on, ignition off and fully retarded I give it a primer kick. Ignition on and half retarded it fired on the third kick and sounded sweet. A little smoke from the exhaust and engine, but not much and it seemed to burn off quickly.

I let it idle for about 2 minutes as I check it over and everything looked fine. While it was on the rear stand I lubed the chain, which was so tight it almost resisted turning. I adjusted the chain and put in just a little slack. I knew it was set right when I last rode it so figured it will stretch out a bit with use.

I let it cool off and rolled it back into the garage figuring I'd done and checked everything I need to. Now wish we luck this weekend. The riders meeting is at noon and the first bike away is at 12:30 on Sunday from Hillsborough Center in New Hampshire.

More info at PEWTER RUN - EARLY VINTAGE MOTORCYCLE EVENT
    Buzz Kanter

Have a great time, Buzz! Sounds fantastic.
    52 HydraGlide
    59 Pan/Knuck Chopper
    77 Stroker Shovel FLH
    94 Evo Secret Components

Good luck Buzz. Looks like great weather up there this weekend. Be safe and no knee dragging in the sweepers!
    Dave Morrill
    Sylacauga, AL. USA.

Deadly Dave's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Morrill View Post
    Good luck Buzz. Looks like great weather up there this weekend. Be safe and no knee dragging in the sweepers!
    If I drag a knee in the sweeper (not in my plans) that's probably only because I am about to drag a hip, then an elbow then my shoulder then... well you understand
    Buzz Kanter

Ah, fond memories! Break dancing down the track long before the hip hop crowd picked it up!
    Dave Morrill
    Sylacauga, AL. USA.

Deadly Dave's Blog

Thread Information