Thread: Lacing problems

gonfishn Guest

Lacing problems

OK. I started lacing 2 18 in. rims to star hubs last night. One is original KH rim and the other aftermarket. I did the aftermarket rim first. Followed the directions in the book. Brake side up. Counter clockwise with the inner row and clockwise with the outer. Flipped the rim and hub over and began the second side - clockwise with inner and counter clockwise with the outer. Struggled a bit with the last 3-4 spokes but finished it up.
    The problems came with the stock rim. First side laced up well. Flipped the mess over and laced the inner clockwise - no problem. Once I started the outer hole spokes, I couldn't cross more than 3 spokes before the spoke contacted the hub about one inch from the correct hole. I tried lifting, shifting, juggling, twisting. I even took all the spokes out, both sides, flipped the rim and tried again with no luck on the second side. Now here is the dilemma. I tried counter clockwise with the inner and clockwise with outer row. All went well and fit perfectly. Is there a safety reason why I can't leave them like this and run the bike? The books says outer spokes on both sides point in the same direction. Mine don't but they sure went in easily.
    One thing I haven't tried is to reverse the process on the first side to match the second side. Hope you folks can follow this. Any feedback is appreciated.

gonfishn

37UH project

Re: Lacing problems

gonfishn
    You did not mention whether your hubs are OEM or aftermarket. Which are they? The reason for all the spokes to match directions is for equal tension during acceleration and braking forces to not twist the wheel and eventually loosen or break spokes. However I have seen many rims laced that way with no ill effects, especially in the old chopper days with lots of British rims laced to H-D hubs. Pictures?
    Robbie

gonfishn Guest

Thanks for the reply, rubone. The hubs are OEM. I'll try to get some pictures on here today. Like I said above, I'll try to lace the brake side to counter the other and see if that works.

Gonfishn

37UH project

I believe he meant Kelsey-Hayes, Not KH as in K-model. Brake side is the opposite side if his project is a UL as his entry suggests.
    Robbie

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    gonfishn
    ...The reason for all the spokes to match directions is for equal tension during acceleration and braking forces to not twist the wheel and eventually loosen or break spokes. However I have seen many rims laced that way with no ill effects, especially in the old chopper days ...Robbie
    Eye agree with Robbie. It won't hurt. The way they fit is the way they should be assembled, provided you're using the right length (and angled) spokes, a correct rim and a real Star Hub. You'll never detect a difference. Just me jumpin' in here. Don't mind me!
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

redchief Guest

The force on a spoke is lateral (side-to-side), not medial (up-and-down). The load transfers back and forth the whole time you are riding, so it should not matter. Lace it up the way it fits. I have always lived by this: If it's hard, you are doing something wrong. May not always be true, but generally works.

Red Chief.

gonfishn Guest

Sorry about the long delay to all of the replys. Life just seems to get in the way of this project. Turns out the rim I was lacing was a 45 solo front rim. Also, the hard time lacing was because the spokes were for a deep drop center rim...too short. The spoke problem has been resolved (got my money back). I got the correct spokes and lacing was a breeze. Really. Now I have to learn how to true the wheels. The local harley shop hit me for $200+ for truing. Since I'm new to this game, is that reasonable? Can't do squat about it after the fact. Just wondering if this is a reasonable charge. Thanks for all the replys. Very good info for the future.

tootall Guest

I use the frame as a trueing stand. had the frame strapped down on a lift and installed the wheel without the drum. mounted a dial indicator to the frame and worked my way around the rim. worked real well for me..

Thread Information