Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: The Endless Oil Debate

Re: The Endless Oil Debate

Maybe I missed it, but what about using diesel engine oil? I understand that it has desirable additives, like zinc, that make it better suited for use in older machines than regular gasoline engine oil. Not as good, mind you, as a good motorcycle oil, but still worth considering. I use diesel engine oil in my air cooled 1984 Moto Guzzi and my water cooled 1980 Fiat Spider.
    I have heard rumors that the formulation of this oil may have changed because of government requirements and that the newer oil is not as good. Anybody know anything about this?
    George Tinkham
    Vintage Iron Riders, AMCA, AMA, ABATE of Illinois, MRF, Springfield Milers BMW MC
    www.virmc.com
    '56 H-D KHK
    '60 H-D CH
    '42 Indian 841
    '48 Chief
    1 each of German (R69S), Italian (V65Sp), & Japanese (150 Touring Benly)

2. Re: The Endless Oil Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Coolbreeze View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but what about using diesel engine oil?
    The subject has been talked about somewhere in this thread. If I remember correctly, some guys are running Shell Rotella T Diesel oil. I know for certain that H-D recommends it in their later model Evos if Genuine H-D motor oil is not available. I don't know how safe it might be to run in Pans and Knuckles. I do know that the heaviest Rotella I've seen is 40w. Neither one of my Pans likes anything lighter than 60w in the summer.

Thread Information