Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: bring out the saw

bring out the saw

this year oley marked the 2nd anniversary of owning a jd basket case. well now is the time to get of my a$$ and start in the next few months i will be updating the progress.from cutting to rebuilding some i will do and some i will let the pros do(frame)

Re: bring out the saw Old Harley

Well good luck with it and look forward to following the build here.

As you might know I am taking my mostly complete and running 1924 Harley JDCA to the next level. Not an AMCA judge bike, but one as close to correct as possible and as dependable a rider as possible.

I am seriously thinking of building an old Harley cut down out of a 1923 J motor and trans I bought years ago. But I need a frame, forks, wheels, etc.
    Buzz Kanter
    American Iron Magazine Harley forum
    American Iron Magazine Digital Delivery

"It is always fascinating to watch the development of rationalizations for an argument"

Re: bring out the saw

eBay ...bill

Pretty cool project ya got there Rob!! Certainly worth resurrecting!!!

when i took the motor out i saw it had a crack pretty common with jd's.it's called breather gear blowout. you can see it in a lot of motors cases on ebay i got a usable cam side case at rhinebeck 2yrs ago.

i'm swapping the original jd bars (rusted) for smaller lower dah bars (primed)

rob, those primered bars look real nice.

i'm also changing the wheels to lower the bike.plus you get more tires to pick from. the primed wheel is 20 inch original clincher that wont be used. the red wheel is 19 inch vl drop center wheel the vl wheel is for the front it's also good for spoke nipple alingment when using jd front brake lace in hub the bare metal and rusty wheel is a 45 18 inch front wheel it also helps with spoke alingment either wheel can be used front or rear as long as it's 45 18 inch front or vl 19(the 45 front wheesl has different spoke hole angles compared to the 45 rear)

9. Re: bring out the saw

Hello may i ask wher you got that handlebars, they look super cool?

the next part in need of help is the rear hub a few of the mounting tabs that hold the sprocket in place are missing.

i got a hub at oley for 150$ and it will work nicely at some point this week i'll take apart the tranny to see what it needs. hopefully i can rebuild it at rhinebeck

Thread Information