Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going Places with Indian Jeff McGeary

Going Places with Indian Jeff McGeary

This is a great set of videos from an old show on TV. Except for the Al Roker intro these videos will keep your interest. Unfortunately Indian Jeff was in a bad cycle crash shortly after making this trip to Sturgis. I would like to know how he is doing as there hasn't been any updates on him that I can find for over 5 years. Make sure you watch all 5 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc3chpTUKQ8
    Dave Swanson

1936 VLH
    1936 VD
    1956 FLH
    1956 KHK
    1964 XLCH
    1969 FLH
    1984 FLH

dave, thanks for the links. i'm looking forward to watching the other parts.

Dave, the guy who posted these clips on YouTube is Jeff's brother. I've asked him about how Jeff is doing, but never got a response. There are quite a few clips of Jeff on YouTube. Have you seen the ones of him on his '12 single? Here's a link to a pretty cool story on Jeff riding his JD to Sturgis...

http://www.onionwerks.com/seattle_to...s_and_back.htm

Cory, I have seen all of the video clips of Jeff, and the article about the JD is very entertaining and well written. I think most of us would agree that he was living the life. Restoring old bikes for a living and riding the countryside on his old Indian. It's really a shame that lifestyle got cut short.

I am glad you tried to contact the family. Let me know if you hear anything.
    Dave Swanson

1936 VLH
    1936 VD
    1956 FLH
    1956 KHK
    1964 XLCH
    1969 FLH
    1984 FLH

c.o. that story was a great read. thanks guys for the links.

stickbender Guest

Re: Going Places with Indian Jeff McGeary

It's with sadness that I post this news. A fellow I have known for a very long time who I introduced you guys to via videos and stories has passed away. This man will always be known for his work in restoration of motorcycles. His work is very well known with some of his bikes being used in films and such. I created a post here a while back about the man. It is sort of odd that just a few short weeks later he has "Checked out" as he would say.

In his old shop, the wall was covered with names and dates of his friends that had "Gone to the party" before him. Jeff suffered grave injuries in a motorcycle accident several years ago that pretty much prevented him from working on bikes at all. At that time thousands of people rallied to raise money to support him and his family with huge medical costs.

Peter Fonda & friends came together and constructed this benefit to help Jeff, his wife and sons cope with the staggering expenses related to his accident. That Mr. Fonda is donating time from his demanding schedule speaks volumes about the friendship and bonds formed within the motorcycling community.

Jeff has been a supremely dedicated enthusiast and premier restorer of antique and vintage motorcycles. A mechanical artist with a strong belief that freeing these machines from static display to operating condition is Jeff's energetic style of logic.

His personal machines: A 1912 and a 1928 Harley-Davidson, and a 1946 Indian Chief ridden to Sturgis twenty-six times, except last year when he rode his '28 JD there and back.

The Indian Jeff Benefit was the first in a series of annual events. This first year will be purely to help out Jeff who, after crashing in Montana while riding alone, has lost the use of his legs and lost all his fingers to frost bite. Jeff's story is a real tragedy but unfortunately is not an isolated incident. The benefit included: Poker run with Peter Fonda, live music, silent auction, live auction featuring autographed copies of the Easy Rider video and other items, Peter Fonda question & answer audience participation session, run pins, T-Shirts, decals, posters, food and beverages, and a motorcycle show depicting "The Evolution of Motorcycling" which will focus on restored stock, race and custom machines from a 1896 steam powered bicycle, through, and up to the present.
    In years following, he was unhappy as he had lost his freedom to a wheel chair. His brothers put together a sidecar motorcycle that would accommodate his chair and allow him to ride some. The bike had a hydraulic lift that would lower and allow him to park his wheelchair on the sidecar and ride from that position. Although riding to Sturgis as he had yearly for many years was out of the question, he could, and did, have the "Wind in his face.."

Thanks Jeff, you're a legend.

"INDIAN JEFF" McGREARY
    Hall of Fame Inductee - 2001
    Sturgis Motorcycle Museum, Sturgis, S.D., Hall of Fame, Freedom Fighters Hall of Fame

Jeffrey M. "Indian Jeff" McGEARY Born 4/4/55 Seattle, passed away in Sheridan, MT 1/30/10 of pneumonia.

Jeff displayed immense courage & kept his great sense of humor even after the 1997 accident that left him paralyzed. He was the star of the PBS special "Biking the Black Hills". An expert in restoring antique motorcycles, his motto was "one should ride them and not keep them locked up in jail." In 2001 he was inducted into the Sturgis Motorcycle Hall of Fame. The inscription on the award reads "There are many people today who rebuild the old treasures but few live the history of motorcycling as Indian Jeff." "In 1997 I rode my "new" 1928 Harley-Davidson JD from Washington to Sturgis, over 4,000 miles roundtrip. No problems. A real comfortable ride." This says it all about this master motorcycle restorer. Jeff rode his first motorcycle in 1963, a Honda 50. Since then he has owned and restored over 300 antique motorcycles for himself and others including Flying Merkels, Hendersons, Indians and Harley-Davidsons. Jeff didn't just restore motorcycles; he rebuilt the dreams of the early pioneers. Jeff allowed all of us the opportunity to become immersed in history and remember those master builders and their fantastic machines. Survived by sons, Jonathan McGeary (Cindy) of Sheridan, Ryan of Federal Way, WA. Mother, Virginia McGeary, sister Janice Eggebraaten, brothers, Mitchell, Mark & TJ, grand daughter, Ryllee and numerous nieces and nephews. Memorial service Feb 6, 3:00 p.m. at Seattle Revival Center, 12636 89 SE Place, New Castle, WA. Reception following. Donations can be made to "Indian Jeff's Little School" Uganda, Africa c/o McGeary Ministries, 21402 35th Ave So, Seatac, 98198.
    See videos and more here on Gotbush..
    My friends 1912 Harley

Here is a Google search of his name. Amazing.
    indian jeff - Google Search

From todays Seattle Times Newspaper
    Jeffrey McGeary Obituary: Jeffrey McGeary?s Obituary by the The Seattle Times.

And a website about him...

Indian Jeff McGeary

R.I.P. Jeff

Stickbender, thanks much for posting the tribute to Indian Jeff.
    Dave Swanson

1936 VLH
    1936 VD
    1956 FLH
    1956 KHK
    1964 XLCH
    1969 FLH
    1984 FLH

so sad to hear. i watched the 5 parts over again. sure would have liked to have met and bs'd with him.

I often wondered what happened to Jeff. I have a tape of the PBS special that chronicles his and Julio's (sp?) trip to Sturgis on Indians. I have probably watched it a hundred times.

Over the years I would google Jeff McGeary now and then to see how he came out but the only updates were real old.

I see that he is somehow connected to a ministry in Uganda. Good stuff.

God speed Jeff.

Joe

10. Re: Going Places with Indian Jeff McGeary

Hello, my name is Mike, I am Indian Jeff's nephew. I would love to chat with anyone who knew Jeff or heard of him. I'll be posting some stories and photos. Yes Going Places was great, I watch it from time to time. If anybody would like a DVD copy, please let me know. I will mail it off to you.

Thread Information