Thread: Nickname - Dash Cover – Alligator Eyes, Cat Eye, Cat’s Eye, Etc.

Nickname - Dash Cover – Alligator Eyes, Cat Eye, Cat’s Eye, Etc.

Can anyone share a photo of any literature where HD (or anyone else) refers to 1939-1946 style dash cover apertures as “alligator eyes”?

Anyone happen to know if the alligator eyes nickname was ever popular or used by riders?

I don’t know when any applicable nickname first started being used or whether anyone in particular has been credited with inventing or popularizing any such nickname.

Re: Nickname - Dash Cover – Alligator Eyes, Cat Eye, Cat’s Eye, Etc.

I don’t know how often the term “alligator eyes” was used by HD, but I believe that the term was used in the October 7, 1946 news bulletin (1947 model announcement). In a discussion of the new instrument panel for the 1947 models, HD referred to the old instrument panel as follows: “Gone are the old alligator eyes…” I don't have a copy of the bulletin. I have seen a photo, but it was blurry.

I don't have a copy of the bulletin
    The 47 models were shown in the November 46 enthusiast magazine, no such term was used.
    All the slang terms were created by riders, 39 to 46 were called cat eye dash.

Quote Originally Posted by 1950panhead View Post
    The 47 models were shown in the November 46 enthusiast magazine, no such term was used.
    Are you saying that the term was not used in the bulletin?

I understand that the wording in the Enthusiast is sometimes identical or substantially similar to the wording in the bulletins, but I thought that the wording is different in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by 1950panhead View Post
    All the slang terms were created by riders, 39 to 46 were called cat eye dash.
    Are you saying that HD did not refer to the dash cover apertures as alligator eyes? Or, just saying that HD did not invent the alligator eyes nickname?

I understand that riders refer to the subject dash cover as a cat eye dash cover and that (although HD often used descriptive adjectives and phrases in marketing jargon) HD didn't typically use nicknames per se. I thought that this was interesting and a possible exception to the extent it was unusual for HD to use nicknames.

I wouldn’t be surprised if HD designers and other employees came up with some nicknames of their own. I don't know if they all always used the exact same nicknames as other riders. Even riders used different nicknames.

It sounds like you may know who invented some or all of the nicknames. As I mentioned, I have not seen anything that has credited anyone in particular with any nickname.

I agree with 1950panhead. Also, I have never heard those '39-'46 light covers called 'alligator eyes'. . . Always 'catseyes'; i.e. 'catseye dash'. Alligator eyes could be regional slang, I just never heard it before.

I had never heard anyone use any other nickname either. And, even more unusual, I had never heard HD use any nickname at all. That is why I thought it was interesting.

Tried to adjust photo. Not sure if it worked. Not a big deal. Just thought it was unusual. Hadn't seen HD use a nickname before.

I see it, Fletch in the 3rd sentence. That is unusual for H-D, and funny that they could have been the only ones to use the 'alligator eyes' slang. Obviously, it didn't catch on.

Thread Information