Thread: 1924 JDCA VIN Question

1924 JDCA VIN Question

I recently picked up an original paint 1924 JDCA and Iíve got a question regarding the VIN.
    Itís a relatively high serial number (over 14000) but it has a letter B at the end (as in 24JDCA14xxxB)
    I cannot find any reference to this in my notes or in any factory literature that I have.
    I did find a picture of another high VIN 24 JDCA (in the 18000 range) online that also has the B.
    There was also a post on the CAI forum a few years ago from Buzz Kanter also wondering about the B at the end of his 24JDCA,s VIN.
    It is DEFINITELY a factory stamped VIN.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks
    Mark Masa

Re: 1924 JDCA VIN Question

See the last post via the link below. Info was from Herb Wagner.
    Eric

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...ot-Mean-In-VIN

How do I envy you! You are still able to find & pick up OP pre-war HDs as easy as plucking flowers in the meadow! Congrats, Mark!
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

That is an explanation but it seems a bit counter intuitive.
    In 1924, Harley offered the JDCA and FDCA (74Ē with Aluminum alloy pistons, battery and magneto) AS WELL AS the JDCB and FDCB (74Ē with Iron alloy pistons, battery and magneto).
    Roughly even numbers of both DCA and DCB bikes were made in 24.
    If the Aluminum pistons were not working out (Iím not disputing that possibility at all), why on earth would they stamp the case with a JDCA when they knew that they were simply going to keep stamping the SN and then put a B at the end because it was going to have iron pistons.
    Why not just stamp it with what it was (a JDCB / FDCB)????
    The only scenario I can think of is if a customer had ordered and was expecting a DCA bike, but the factory in essence no longer produced it because of a Alu piston problem.
    They could deliver what the customer thought was a DCA bike but was really a DCB bike.
    Sort of a ďgive the customer what they want, as far as they know anywayĒ scenario.
    Seems like a stretch but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Speeding Big Twin View Post
    See the last post via the link below. Info was from Herb Wagner.
    Eric

http://www.caimag.com/forum/showthre...ot-Mean-In-VIN

My guess in battery, same as Indian.

The J is what indicates it as a battery model.

Although there may have been more than one order blank for 1924, the one in The Legend Begins lists the FDCA and JDCA but not the FDCB or JDCB.

Agreeing with that order blank is page 212 of Legend which includes the 1924 FDCA and JDCA but not the FDCB or JDCB. Page 200 includes all four models in alleged production figures for 1924 but page 198 of Legend says its own figures, and model descriptions, are not to be regarded as totally accurate.

For 1924 cases stamped only FDCA or JDCA (no B at the end) I have an overall total of eight that appear authentic and they are all 83++ or lower.
    For 1924 cases stamped JDCA and with B at the end I know of four so far and they are all in the 13000s or higher. At this stage I am unaware of any 1924 FDCAs with B at the end but I wonít be surprised to find some.
    For 1924 I have no photos of cases stamped FDCB or JDCB.

Apparently aluminium pistons had proved unreliable on 1924 models but perhaps H-D didnít realise the problem at first? And even when they did, maybe they persevered with them for a while but later in 24 they fitted iron alloy pistons to some (all?) engines already stamped JDCA (and FDCA) so B was added at the end to indicate different pistons.

The 1924 section below includes Models FDCA, FDCB, JDCA and JDCB and the beginning of their motor numbers.

But were those 1924 FDCBs and JDCBs stamped like that or were they stamped FDCA and JDCA and then had B after the sequence portion?
    And if so, would the same apply to some FDCBs and JDCBs in Legendís alleged production figures for 1924? I say some because Legend figures are not to be regarded as totally accurate and some bikes in 1924 figures may be 1925 models.

For future reference hereís a link to the 2009 AMCA discussion.
    Eric

https://forum.antiquemotorcycle.org/...t=24JDCA12472B

Iím sold on the idea that the B at the end indicates iron alloy pistons.
    Thinking about it, I have seen a number of 24JDCA and at least one FDCA cases over the years (without the suffix B), but I donít remember ever seeing a 24JDCB or 24FDCB case. With the JDCB/FDCB missing from the order form, that to me indicates that the iron alloy pistons were introduced mid to late production in 1924. To Add to that is your observation that the B suffix seems to appear on high serial number engines.
    Thanks to Eric and all others who responded.
    Mark

Thread Information