Thread: 32-34 RL rear wheel bearing shims, and sprocket

1. 32-34 RL rear wheel bearing shims, and sprocket

Hello
    I got my 32-34 RL banded brake rear wheel carefully dis-assembled with some heat .I cleaned everything up with gasoline . No rust just some crusty dried grease . The bearings (Hoover) cleaned up well and spin nicely There were quite a few shims of various sizes behind each bearing .The JS book gives #'s for .002,.009,and .032 I believe and shows 3 on each side in the diagram One side (sprocket) had a total of 0.131 and the other side(brake) had 0.095 . The wheel had a 40 tooth sprocket with a 1" dish . The JS book shows a sprocket with a dish ,but looks like less than an inch .No shimming bias is given in the book I was also told to use a flat sprocket, so I might need a sprocket ? (32 to 34 toth) unless I can use the 40 tooth one I have.The parts book shows several tooth sizes listed for the bike but the teeny pictures don't show if they are flat or dished. There is zero info I have found on this .Any advise is greatly appreciated !!
    Thanks

Re: 32-34 RL rear wheel bearing shims, and sprocket

Do you have Johnny Sells "Restoration guide for '29-'36 45 Twins"? It would answer virtually all your questions.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

3. Re: 32-34 RL rear wheel bearing shims, and sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Do you have Johnny Sells "Restoration guide for '29-'36 45 Twins"? It would answer virtually all your questions.
    There is no specific info in the book on the shimming of the bearings that I found Robbie, just the diagram. I emailed Johnny but have not heard back so I posted here.Thanks

4. Re: 32-34 RL rear wheel bearing shims, and sprocket

Quote Originally Posted by shermanpup View Post
    There is no specific info in the book on the shimming of the bearings that I found Robbie, just the diagram. I emailed Johnny but have not heard back so I posted here.Thanks
    This is wrong, I found the info in the book page 16-19. Only thing is it says to have equal shim distance on each side of the axle .When I took the wheel apart one side had more shims than the other .

Thread Information