Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Drying the knuck

Re: Drying the knuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chris in Japan View Post
    So - I hate reading manuals... How do I remove the main shaft?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EQqRBfXXDLvLiUoMA
    I prefer to do it like this:
    Remove the entire kicker cover assembly, pull off the throwout bearing and pushrod.
    Remove the set screw in the top gasket surface area that retains the shifter forks. Pull the fork shaft and both shift forks. If you are planning to reuse the same forks and top just set all the parts aside for now.
    Check the end play on the Countershaft and make note of it, you will need this.
    Remove the end cover plate on the countershaft and remove the nut and lock on the kicker side of CS. Tap out CS and lift entire CS assembly out of the box being careful to keep track of all the loose rollers (22 on each end). Set aside the thrust washer
    Leave all the inner kicker gears on the shaft, Remove the 4 screws holding the bearing retainer plate to the gearbox. (you may want to warm the case at this point, I like it warm to help the bearing retainer to slide out of the aluminum case). Tap the clutch end of the mainshaft until it pushes the retainer out (or mostly out) of the case. Stop before the 3rg gear hits the inside of case. Slide the 3rd and high shift clutch into the high gear recess. This gives you plenty of work room to remove the 3rd gear retaining snap ring and thrust washer. A bent pick or similar is an immense help. Once the snap ring is out of its groove slide the 3rd gear towards 4th gear and continue tapping the mainshaft assembly out. When it is out you can remove the kicker gears and bearing retainer nut easily while holding the shaft in a vise with soft jaws. Once the bearing retainer nut is off you can press or tap the shaft out of the ball bearing.
    Now high gear can also come out of the case, again the rollers will fall out (44 on this end). Then it is time for cleaning all parts and inspecting the bearing surfaces etc.
    Good luck.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

I am so thankful you took the time to describe this, Robbie! T-H-A-N-K-S!!!!
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    I prefer to do it like this:
    Remove the entire kicker cover assembly, pull off the throwout bearing and pushrod.
    Remove the set screw in the top gasket surface area that retains the shifter forks. Pull the fork shaft and both shift forks. If you are planning to reuse the same forks and top just set all the parts aside for now.
    Check the end play on the Countershaft and make note of it, you will need this.
    Remove the end cover plate on the countershaft and remove the nut and lock on the kicker side of CS. Tap out CS and lift entire CS assembly out of the box being careful to keep track of all the loose rollers (22 on each end). Set aside the thrust washer
    Leave all the inner kicker gears on the shaft, Remove the 4 screws holding the bearing retainer plate to the gearbox. (you may want to warm the case at this point, I like it warm to help the bearing retainer to slide out of the aluminum case). Tap the clutch end of the mainshaft until it pushes the retainer out (or mostly out) of the case. Stop before the 3rg gear hits the inside of case. Slide the 3rd and high shift clutch into the high gear recess. This gives you plenty of work room to remove the 3rd gear retaining snap ring and thrust washer. A bent pick or similar is an immense help. Once the snap ring is out of its groove slide the 3rd gear towards 4th gear and continue tapping the mainshaft assembly out. When it is out you can remove the kicker gears and bearing retainer nut easily while holding the shaft in a vise with soft jaws. Once the bearing retainer nut is off you can press or tap the shaft out of the ball bearing.
    Now high gear can also come out of the case, again the rollers will fall out (44 on this end). Then it is time for cleaning all parts and inspecting the bearing surfaces etc.
    Good luck.
    You “working instructions” provided greatest service, Robbie! With exception of a small detail I will describe below, the tranny is fully disassembled. THANKS!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2d6TsPBnrKcB7E2g6
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

I wasn’t able to push out the bearing housing of the main shaft (kicker side). The manual warns that the bearing housing may not move together with the bearing and if that happens, it should be pushed by the large gear while tapping the mains shaft with a mallet...

My problem is that my gear is badly worn exactly in that side building some sort if conical seat against the bearing housing...

All this explained, would appreciate any advice to deal with it!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WAqsrh1VPNRK7pgQ8
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

Did you remove the bearing retainer and four screws ?

I wasn’t able to push out the bearing housing of the main shaft (kicker side). The manual warns that the bearing housing may not move together with the bearing and if that happens, it should be pushed by the large gear while tapping the mains shaft with a mallet...
    Yes, the bearing retainer is pressed into the case and the bearing usually escapes the retainer first.

Yup - from the kicker side I removed everything - I just need to press out that bearing housing (sleeve) but using the worn out (sort of conical shape) gear to do that seems dangerous to me...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WAqsrh1VPNRK7pgQ8
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

That gear isn't worn out, it is made that way. Is that a 3speed with reverse gearbox?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    That gear isn't worn out, it is made that way. Is that a 3speed with reverse gearbox?
    No - just a 3-speed without reverse... I think also the right tranny for a low compression (F) powertrain, isn’t?

Really? That part looks shiny as it would be worn out!
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

A low compression F could have a 3 speed or a 4 speed. That gear is shiny because it is engaged by the sliding gear on the countershaft and that is how they mesh (often referred to as a crashbox). Heat up that case and the retainer will come out. And yes, you can push it with that gear.

Cool. Thanks!
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

Thread Information