Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drying the knuck

Lightbulb Drying the knuck

Hi everyone!

Won‘t call it #build thread# because would be a lack of respect to the amazing jobs I have seen in the forum, but here I go:

I have this 47 that seldom saw the road in the last 12 years and I have decided to change this - I want to make it a reliable rider and important: I want to register it by the Swiss/Liechtenstein authorities to get a license plate and riding permit. The authorities are respectful of the technology in the 40‘s as long the bike is original (and pretty is) but they won‘t allow oil loss.

I know long standing bikes will cumulate oil in the engine but I am pretty sure that the tranny has at least a dead main shaft seal so some strip down, check, and replacements will be anyway needed. If I have improper oil loss from the engine, I have no clue, but the tranny pretty sure has.

I have the cool books from Bruce but the very truth is that I am not skilled at all and almost zero experience, so very honestly said I will be posting my progress with the hope someone will offer me advice and warning during the process. This will so much appreciated and winning a tasty BBQ and fresh beer if one day you will be close to my home!

Here is the lady, waiting for the doctor (it is an 47 low compression OHV, pretty stock but not OP):

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pxzmjGcwYTsu5kiS8
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

Re: Drying the knuck

First of all I need to remove these toys. Local authorities are quite pragmatic: if it is in the bike it must be legal and functional. The extinguisher is not functional and the siren not legal (but very functional ), so bye-bye to both.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/togZSwDLy1t2ZhEd8
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

The primary cover removed, plenty of oil dripping so I think that the tranny‘s main shaft must really have the seal dead... I shaked vertically the clutch and feel a slight play, so I guess the bearing in the main shaft will also need attention, right?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZhdM8ZJitvoYDMEA8
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

So - the first day and the first challenge. The large nut in the clutch won‘t move. Tabs opened, a nice wrench and even a rubber hammer (to hit the wrench) but won‘t move a single degree... Anti clockwise isn‘t? Stopped because I doubt it is healthy for the tranny if I keep forcing... Ideas? The tranny is partially blocked by the rear wheel (1st gear engaged) but the wheel slips on the table when I hit the wrench...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ha95c6gcDYU2bbH36
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

5. Re: Drying the knuck

If there was a good bit of oil in the primary, it could be coming from the primary chain oiler. Oil that has sumped in the crankcase will come from there as well. You may need the tool that holds the clutch hub to free the nut. Tool can be made from an old clutch friction pate and a piece of flatbar.

So - the first day and the first challenge. The large nut in the clutch won‘t move. Tabs opened, a nice wrench and even a rubber hammer (to hit the wrench) but won‘t move a single degree... Anti clockwise isn‘t? Stopped because I doubt it is healthy for the tranny if I keep forcing... Ideas? The tranny is partially blocked by the rear wheel (1st gear engaged) but the wheel slips on the table when I hit the wrench...
    Turn nut clockwise to loosen (left hand threads), impact work best.

Very nice bike !

Quote Originally Posted by 1950panhead View Post
    Turn nut clockwise to loosen (left hand threads), impact work best.
    Twice thanks, 50pan!

Sorry to double-check: really CW??? I swear I read in Palmer that both engine and clutch sprocket nuts are (loosening) CCW!! If you confirm, then no wonder I was unable to loosen it...
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

Make up one of these, easy to do and kinda handy.

Very cool, sidecar. I just need to procure one of those clutch plates!
    1918 "Motorcyke" HD
    1947 F w/1948 LE HD
    1951 FL HD
    1970 FLH HD

Thread Information