Thread: Out of gas

Out of gas

I keep a notebook and write down when I last filled up with gas. Yesterday, in a hurry, I did some bad math and figured I had about 40 miles left in my tanks...did I mention bad math? Ran out of gas, and being only 15 miles from home I called my wife and she brought the Indian Rescue Unit (homebuilt trailer with no lights hooked up or registration....last used it a couple years ago). Anyway, getting ready to push the chief onto the trailer a fellow rides by on his modern Harley, turns around and comes back. He was a big guy and maybe could have lifted the Chief onto the trailer by himself.

When we finished he went back to his bike (he never even took off his helmet) and as I thanked him I said "that's a nice bike"... and it was, big, clean, and looked comfortable. He said "Thanks, cost more than yours."

With my wife present I couldn't tell him how much money I'd spent on the Chief!
    1946 Chief - take apart and put back together
    101 Scout - building stage

2. Re: Out of gas

I'm sure he believes it. It amazes me when most of these guys don't even acknowledge a vintage bike.

Re: Out of gas

Quote Originally Posted by Glide View Post
    I'm sure he believes it. It amazes me when most of these guys don't even acknowledge a vintage bike.
    He was likely correct. Late model H-D junk can be 30K. Hard to get a Chief sold for that....
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Way back in my early years I was on my way home from work,stopped at the red light and the bike started to shake,I knew I was low on gas,reached down to put it on reserve and S**T. It was already on reserve. Down the street was a local lawn mower shop that my old man use to work on Saturdays. I rolled in just before it shut down. The owner knew me and ripped my ass out for running out of gas on a motorcycle that got 30 miles a gallon. Still remember him saying Your old man should give you a kick you in the ass.

I keep a notebook and write down when I last filled up with gas. Yesterday, in a hurry, I did some bad math and figured I had about 40 miles left in my tanks...did I mention bad math? Ran out of gas, and being only 15 miles from home I called my wife and she brought the Indian Rescue Unit (homebuilt trailer with no lights hooked up or registration....last used it a couple years ago). Anyway, getting ready to push the chief onto the trailer a fellow rides by on his modern Harley, turns around and comes back. He was a big guy and maybe could have lifted the Chief onto the trailer by himself.
    You are fortunate to have a rescue system in place.
    I have a rope on my chief handlebars and it's come in handy a few times.

When we finished he went back to his bike (he never even took off his helmet) and as I thanked him I said "that's a nice bike"... and it was, big, clean, and looked comfortable. He said "Thanks, cost more than yours."
    You need a knucklehead.

With my wife present I couldn't tell him how much money I'd spent on the Chief!
    I tell Marilyn everything.

CVO Harleys are 40-44 k...before the fancy ad ons

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    CVO Harleys are 40-44 k...before the fancy ad ons
    Crazy stupid money. There must be a lot of fear in their boardroom.

A few years ago, I stopped at a gas station with my '57 pan and there was another guy on the other side of the pump filling his late model Harley touring bike. Got his filled and stepped by me and asked me why I had that old junk, you should be able to afford something better then that he told me. I told him I was lucky I could afford the gas to put in it.

i rode my 1915 HD twin to the post office yesterday to deliver a package.
    i walk out & a older guy is admiring it & asks what its worth.
    i say about 75.
    he says 75 hundred? wow, that's a lot.

Thread Information