Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1945 model U

1. Re: 1945 model U

the number 37 that was there is still there, but I wanted to re-punch the right number for that engine

Re: 1945 model U

Here's a picture from page one of your 2019 thread.

But it wasn’t good enough to tell exactly what may or may not have occurred which is why I then asked for a clearer photo. I also said I’d been wondering if the original engine was UL, later became damaged or whatever, and replacement cases were installed after having the original serial number applied.

Often when that type of number boss is altered the two nubs above it are affected but I can’t see any sign of that yet. But the photo isn’t good enough. Can you post a very clear close-up of the number boss please because it may provide a better idea about what happened, as I mentioned last year. Thanks.
    Eric

3. Re: 1945 model U

the 37 serial number,is now on my 37 bike....

4. Re: 1945 model U

the bike was imported new in 37 and it was an EL, then in the post-war period someone replaced the engine with a Flat 1200 of military origin, I brought the bike back as it was originally, and with the 45U flat engine I would like to build another one motorbike with pieces I have, the engine will punch it only with 45U, without serial number.....

Quote Originally Posted by ragno View Post
    the bike was imported new in 37 and it was an EL, then in the post-war period someone replaced the engine with a Flat 1200 of military origin, I brought the bike back as it was originally ...

From your other thread here is the bike with the Knuckle engine you installed.

What did the serial number look like? How did you authenticate the serial number on the Knuckle engine? Thanks.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by ragno View Post
    ... with the 45U flat engine I would like to build another one motorbike with pieces I have, the engine will punch it only with 45U, without serial number.....

Earlier you said a serial number had been removed from the 1945 Flathead cases. But that may not have happened and the cases may have been replacements as I mentioned above. The fake 37VL serial number may be the only serial number those cases ever had but the photo wasn’t clear enough to be sure about it.

I wouldn’t advise anyone to stamp 45U over the fake 37VL. I think you’d be better off buying another set of cases.

Anyway, I’d still like to see a clear close-up of the 37VL serial number so we can try to determine what happened. Thanks.
    Eric

7. Re: 1945 model U

as soon as I have the opportunity I take the photo of the numbers 37vl again, but it is clear that they have been re-punched
    i found a damaged left case, with originals numbers, i'm negotiating to buy it....

The numbers have not been re-punched. It appears that this was a blank number boss as came on replacement military engines. The font of those numbers, including the 37, is not factory.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

9. Re: 1945 model U

this could be another good hypothesis, as soon as i start working on the bike i will make new pic.....

Thread Information