Thread: Down at the dump shootin' rats

Down at the dump shootin' rats

The year was 1973. Me & some buddies rode our bikes to the local dump to shoot rats. I was on my $75.00 49 pan, "Mikey" was riding his 47 Indian, Tom was on his 59 Pan, Preacher was on a Honda 500-4. Doc was ridin his 68 FLH, with his saddlebags, & tour pack full of Carling Black Label Beer. We all took our .22 pistols with us for a night of evening fun.The local Western Auto Just had a sale on .22, 9 shot revolvers, & we all had us one. Ammo was 99 cents for a hundred , & we'd bought 10 dollars worth of fun. We all settled in , & took our positions with our revolvers , & a 6 pack of beer,we set there real quiet, till Doc gave the order. We switched on our headlights, & the rats started running, we're shur' bout to have us some fun,bout then, the sheriff arrived, & he took us all prisoner. They impounded our our Sickles, & took us to jail, they said they gonna need us all to post us some bail, until Preacher spoke up, & he got us all ,pardoned. W'ell you see that Ol' Preacher , he'd been "Personal" with the sheriff's wife & his daughter, it's there where this story takes a 180' turn. We'd took Suzy there with us, she was a good timing girl,, she's the one you needed, when you wanted a good time, & she'd been friendly with the sheriff's only son. She was 5 months pregnant now, she was a hippie type "Biker" gal, that was loyal to all of her friends,, So the timing was right, in the middle of the night, When ol' Judge John was called to preside, he'd shot rats with his friends, & he started to begin, to see the case from our rat shooting side, with Suzy , cause he's been there before.., Small Town Politics crept in, with the judge with his Gin, we were starting to see us some light. You see the judge liked his juice, & his gin. With blood shot eyes, he heard our case, &then he decides to let us all walk away, He rode a 63 Pan, & did the best that he can, just to help his brothers all get along...
    This might sound like fiction , but I swear it's the truth, in Southeast Ohio back in 1973..
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

Re: Down at the dump shootin' rats

We need photos !

Good story, I believe every bit of it. Small town in southern Minnesota for me (pop. 543). The mid 70's. Rode a '47 knick chop back then. A good night at the liquor store/bar there would be 20 plus bikes parked in front. You always knew who was in town when you drove past by their bike out front. Can't do that today, they all look the same. It helped if you were "friends" with the local cops daughter. He just tried to keep it down to a dull roar anyway. If he saw you driving around and drinking he would just conviscate the beer and tell you not to do that. His daughter told me that there were cases of beer in the basement at their house, he never had to buy any beer. All you needed for a weekend was $20. That was plenty for a case of Schmidt beer and I could fill the little sporty tank on the knuckle 4 or 5 times on that. There was usually a party or a run to someplace most most Saturday nights, if not everyone would pitch in and buy a keg of beer and had a party on Main Street in town, Main Street was 3 blocks long. I look at my 10 yr. old grandson and feel sorry that he will never know things like that, but maybe for the best.

Great story and reminds me of when I was much younger and our 22's were rifles. We shot rats during the daylight hours at the local dump and rode there on our bicycles. Our parents permitted it. The local law enforced encouraged it. Those were the days.

A '49 Panhead for $75.00?
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Yep, Far from a decent, or stock bike, with a a butchered , homegrown raked, bubblegum welded neck frame.
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

He probably over paid but he wanted it.
    The best deal is when they pay you to haul them away.

Thread Information