Thread: What is this?

What is this?

Recently I salvaged this great lump of "plastic" from a derelict truck mechanics "shed". Actually it was an old bus conversion that was slowly rotting into the ground.

It is very heavy for "plastic" and dense. It was almost as hard to cut with a handsaw as aluminium and the piece I did cut was then shaped on the bench grinder to give me a billet I could put in the lathe. Boy was it hard to grind. It appears to be heat resistant because despite all the grinding and swarf making it never got hotter than lukewarn to the touch.

My billet was then turned in the lathe to shape it thus. It cut easily in the lathe and gave off a faint but pleasant rubber smell.

Seems to me it will be useful for bushes and the like but can anyone tell me what it is so I can research it's uses.

Thanks a lot.

Murray

Re: What is this?

Looks like Nylatron to me
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nylatron

From the picture and description of how it cuts, I’d say that it’s Delrin.
    Comes in at least black and white color variations. Looks like you have the black one.
    Mark

It is an engineered plastic, of which there are many. They are hard to identify individually.
    This site may help.

http://www.polymeridentification.com...menu=2&lang=cz

It is available in lots of different dimensions round, flat sheet and very thin that you can cut with a scissors for thrust washers. And it wears really well.

Lots of great insight here so thanks a lot. New Zealand is in virus locked down for a month so there is plenty of time for fiddling' in the shed.

The piece I cut, I turned into......a mouthpiece for an Euphonium! It was a pleasure to cut and polished up well but I don't think I'll use the rest for such frivolous projects, it appears to be too good for that.

Murray

Thread Information