Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New reproduction 48 to 52 hydraulic pushrods

Re: New reproduction 48 to 52 hydraulic pushrods

Ok, solids are an alternative but just not a good one. Adjusting to zero lash just means when the motor gets hot they'll run loose and not magically expand. The problem folks have with OEM is keeping them pumped up. A good set with a quality oil fixes that. They will clatter occasionally for example after stopping for fuel but typically pump up after a few minutes. All that is explained in the Panhead manual. At the end of the day they are smoother, quieter and easier on the valve train than solids....

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    I'm going with silly if that is the word you like.
    I take the time to answer
    I have no training in motorcycle mechanics or general mechanics, only training in electricity. In the photos where we see the general mechanics workshop is neither mine nor Hervé's.
    I try to manage as best I can.
    Hervé who has very good knowledge helps me enormously, without him a lot would have been impossible. I learned a lot.
    With little means but a lot of will and patience and curiosity, we can achieve a great thing.
    Sometimes things get complicated like right now, and I don't know how to get out of it.

"The solid pushrods do require periodical adjustment", i do not understand that statement, if this is true something has to be wearing, right? I have not adjusted mine in my Pan for over 15,000 miles.

It's not really that hard to understand. Before hydraulic lifters/pushrods, the MoCo advised checking adjustment at 1000 to 1500 mile intervals.
    Obviously, if they don't need adjustment, don't adjust.

Same with all old solid lifter machines of all different makes.I could drop oil/filter,pull dizzy/change,adjust points,install/time,adjust lifters,install oil/filter, in a Volvo 4cyl in less than 1/2 hour.

All Knuckleheads are solid, all Ironhead Sportsters are solid, all factory race bikes are solid, all high performance engines built around vintage H-Ds are solid (with high lift cams, steep opening ramps, heavy valve springs, hydraulics fail miserably). All Sidevalves are solid/direct lift. Nothing wrong with solids. Hydraulics have always been about low maintenance and when they work well they are great.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Is there any way to bench test genuine H-D hydraulic push-rods? I ask because I have done zero research on them, never installed, or run them, and have a set taking up space in drawer. I love the idea of low maintenance, and noise, but I never had much trouble with solid push-rods either. The thing that scares me about hydraulics is how old things that depend on tight tolerances can just wear out. A problem that can easily be applied to people as well

Eric, the Panhead manual pages 84-87 detail the care and feeding of the hydraulic pushrods including how to test operation. Hopefully yours have the slot which makes removal of the plunger retaining clip easier...

9. Re: New reproduction 48 to 52 hydraulic pushrods

Thanks for the replies. When I first got the bike 20 years ago I ran it on the original pushrods and it was fine till one wouldn’t pump up anymore. Switched to aluminum solids but what a racket. Was going to buy old OEM ones and hope to stumble on a good one but man they are pricey these days, seems like guys used to give em away. Anyway I think I am going to try OEM when the time comes.

S&S steel solids are much quieter than those POS aluminum solids

Thread Information