Thread: U model generator gear

U model generator gear

looking for an oem generator gear for a U model to use with a cycle electric genny. i am unsure of my research per which gear i need, seems some 45 models used the same gear, which would widen the availability of finding a gear. i have read Palmers reference to gen gears and am still not sure....thanks Mark

Re: U model generator gear

The Harley Flatheads, 45 and Big Twin, uses a slinger gear on the 32E which is an important part of the oil recirculation system, separating oil from air behind the cam cover breather. If it's for the 32E shaft with roll-pin go with it.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

IIRC, you'll need to find a drive gear from a Servi Car that had a 2 brush generator.
    VPH-D

The two brush gear is slightly different as most do not have the hole in them (as Sarge mentions) for retention as they had a nut holding them on. There are also gears of larger diameter as used on K-Models and early Sportsters which are often confused for WL/UL type.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

thanks for the info. Sarge i am aware of the slinger and its importance along with a correctly timer breather gear and a flutter valve that flutters. I am using the CE 2 brush gen and the 1958 hardware...ie special washer, and nut to retain gear. Rubone i have bought gears in the past listed as ULs and they were the larger diameter K and XL types and i think the tooth count was different. i have several that were listed as NOS on ebay but seem to be repops. I dont trust repops and am determined to find an OEM gear. it is good news to know the 45 gear is the same item. any thoughts of whom may have a gear for sale?

Mark, I had gotten a couple of generators with the big twin flatty gears on them from Rob over at retrocycle in NJ. I see you are on the east coast so he not to far from ya.Give him a shout cant hurt, Paddy

7. Re: U model generator gear

I've successfully used a Sportster gear and slinger on UL's. Yeah, it's wrong. yeah, it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles.L.Pitts View Post
    I've successfully used a Sportster gear and slinger on UL's. Yeah, it's wrong. yeah, it worked.
    Yeah, it will work, but..... It puts the sealing surface on the outside edge of the brass ring a bit and gets it close to the retaining pins.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

I bought a cycle electric generator about a year ago as a backup for my U models and decided to use it instead of another used CE generator i had. lo and behold long forgotten there were 2 oem gen gears in the box! thanks everyone for the help and advice. this build is based on a set of 37 and 48 cases, S&S cylinders, VT cycle heads, T&O 4.5 stroke torque monster flywheels, andrews cams. Paul at American Cycle Fab let me be present for the entire build from matching cases, building flywheels balancing and truing, rebuilding rod set, etc. I have a 46 hack for this bike and am looking forward to putting some miles on it.

Thread Information