Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel value

Wheel value

I have a guy bugging me to buy a couple of wheels I have. I got these in a group of parts I bought several years ago. They are star hubs, old chrome rims and old firestone tires. Tires are worthless. They may be KH rims but I haven't pulled tires off to check.

So, given that vague description, what's a fair value range for these?
    To have the right to do something is not the same as to be right in doing it.

49 FL Love/Hate Relationship

Re: Wheel value

Too many unknown variables. What did you pay for them, how good do you know or like the guy asking about them? What year hubs, chrome or cad plated spokes? Are they in your way and you need space? Any flat spots or rust on rims? To a long-time friend $25 apiece, an occasional drinking buddy $50-100 apiece. If youre not sure if they are KH rims and you dont feel like cutting off the old tire and wire, brushing the inside looking for the stamp, $200-250 apiece. Now if you go though all the above and they are KH rims, cad spokes, roll straight, 40-50 date coded, put them on eBay, pay fees and taxes $400-450 plus apiece. Making money always involves work.
    Dave
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

several versions of star hubs depending on vintage,value changes with vintage

I had time to dig wheels out today and get some photos. Sorry for that delay. I should have done this first but this guy is hounding me for prices so..... But here they are. Anxious to hear your thoughts on what I have, even if they are low end, common stuff or aftermarket. Thanks for your help. I really appreciate your input.

Wheel # 1 appears to have a chrome hub. I see no marking on rim or hub.

Wheel # 2 Hub is painted black and silver and greasy. Some chrome spokes but most are rusty. There is an O stamped on the Star side of the hub but that's the only mark I see.

If it was me, and since they are not old, hard as rock firestone tires that have to be cut off, Id go through the effort and remove the tires without denting the rims and look for the date codes. Since the spokes are chrome and how they fit in the hubs and rims, Id say they were aftermarket. The age of the mounted tires points to a time when a repop rim cost 20 40 bucks. Hopefully they are KH rims that look good from spending their life in Texas. You need to show the zerk fitting in the hub center to narrow down the years.
    Dave
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

Thanks Dave. I'll get more photos tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BNSONS View Post
    If it was me, and since they are not old, hard as rock firestone tires that have to be cut off, Id go through the effort and remove the tires without denting the rims and look for the date codes. Since the spokes are chrome and how they fit in the hubs and rims, Id say they were aftermarket. The age of the mounted tires points to a time when a repop rim cost 20 40 bucks. You need to show the zerk fitting in the hub center to narrow down the years.
    Dave
    I was thinking this also. To me it would be well worth the effort to dismount the tires just to be sure. , Just an opinion, it's up to you...
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

The grease zerk on the star was a '56 up feature however the whole star assembly was available as a retrofit kit. The single most important factor is the condition of the bearing surfaces. They are often poor and usually even worse after they have been chromed. The one rim (second wheel) seems to be a safety bead type. Is it?
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

9. Re: Wheel value

Difficult to see, but they both may be safety rims. I'm guessing the value is in the hubs.

Thank you all for comments. More photos showing grease zerk at hub and one hopefully to show profile of rim.

Wheel # 1 Cleaned the rim a bit and found stamping: F 4 J (Dunlop Logo) Made in England.

Wheel # 2 No stamping on outside of rim.

I'm going to try to break the beads off the rims later today.

Thread Information