Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48 WL transmission shifter cam

48 WL transmission shifter cam

Iím helping a friend do a 48WL transmission which was working before we pulled it apart (it broke a cluster gear tooth)

The job is almost done and Iíve discovered that the shifter cam gear is the 41 to 46 type with the number 3 and the letter R stamped on it.

We discovered this after it was together and we were trying to work out why it wouldnít shift through the gears.

As it was working when we pulled it apart there has to be a way to get it timed correctly. Does anyone have a technique other than guessing?

Thanks
    Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    19545KHK

http://1944WL.webs.com

2. Re: 48 WL transmission shifter cam

They all go in the same spot, no matter how they are marked. Do you have a correct year one? Then just count the teeth to the correct location and mark it with a black marker, then align with notched tooth on the drum.

Someone here will have a correct year one and can count the teeth for you, that should be all you need. Wish I could have been more help, no pics on my end either.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Re: 48 WL transmission shifter cam

Dave, If it was working before and now isn't it is merely the timing and not the drum. The drums are machined mirror image to one another so if it was the early drum it never would have shifted in a '47 up pattern gate no matter how it is timed.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Don't be alarmed by the reverse info.That is the same cam for 2 wheeler or 3,depending on what is installed below it.

My description is bad so I apologise. The drum Iíd the correct later drum but the shifter gear is the earlier one. So when I line the chamfer up with the number 3 on the gear it wonít select all gears.

When I pulled out Palmers it says the 47 and later gear had an I marked on it and the chamfer needs to be aligned with the I. It goes on to say you canít use an early gear in a later box but that canít be try as it was being used in this box.

It must be that the timing is different and as you said Robbie Iíll just have to play around.

I was hoping someone had a magic formula like align the chamfer between the 7th and 8th teeth on the gear.

Thanks Dave
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    19545KHK

6. Re: 48 WL transmission shifter cam

Dave,

When I bought my 1946 WL, it was setup to shift like a '47 and up. Later in life after a transmission rebuild I swapped out the drum to get her to shift in the right direction for 1946. I had both gears in my hand at the time, the one with the slash and the one with the 3 R. Whichever one was correct for '46, did not fit well on my existing shifter lever (square hole/peg). After messing with it for a while, I realized both gears where identical except for the marks. So I stuck with the gear I had that the shifter lever fit nicely into. transferred the marks from the correct gear to the incorrect gear, made a mark with a black magic marker and moved forward. All was well.

All someone needs to show you , is both gears side by side so you can count teeth. it is that simple, but I do not have both on a bench.

Anyone out there have both to do a side by side comparison. I bet Robbie does.....................
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    Dave,

When I bought my 1946 WL, it was setup to shift like a '47 and up. Later in life after a transmission rebuild I swapped out the drum to get her to shift in the right direction for 1946. I had both gears in my hand at the time, the one with the slash and the one with the 3 R. Whichever one was correct for '46, did not fit well on my existing shifter lever (square hole/peg). After messing with it for a while, I realized both gears where identical except for the marks. So I stuck with the gear I had that the shifter lever fit nicely into. transferred the marks from the correct gear to the incorrect gear, made a mark with a black magic marker and moved forward. All was well.

All someone needs to show you , is both gears side by side so you can count teeth. it is that simple, but I do not have both on a bench.

Anyone out there have both to do a side by side comparison. I bet Robbie does.....................
    Funny part is I can find pictures of the 41-46 and they clearly show the 3 and the R but I cant find one pic of the 47 up that shows the "I"
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    19545KHK

The answer is, if you line the chamfer up with the R youíre good to go
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    19545KHK

If a factory service manual was used to rebuild the transmission, the one used may be one of the year copies which have the shifter fork clearances reversed. Email me Dave and I will shoot you a transmission build topic in the form of a PDF file. I show the error in the file with photos.

Thanks Paps, will do.

I went out to have a play with it this morning before work and I realised that the kicker seems to be going in the opposite direction so Iíve done something wrong. I can push it forward and it turns the box over but I canít seem to push it backwards
    1938 WLDR
    1940 WL (Race Bike)
    1944 WL
    1948WR
    19545KHK

Thread Information