Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh dear, say it isn't so

Re: Oh dear, say it isn't so

I worked for HD in Marin, Ca. as a mechanic for years. I got fed up with the boutique aspect of the "New" Harley riders. I flipped my wing patch upside down in disgust. (I was riding a rigid Shovel at the time), and my supervisor wanted to know why. I laughed and said "figure it out". We were told not to work on anything older than '84. I didn't last long after that.
    Steve

Maybe we are just bummed out because we are old and irrelevant!

"I'll save my tears, (or celebration for some here) if there's a funeral for an American company that has employed thousands of domestic workers." Eric. Then when harley goes under. These same people will blame President So and So. for letting it happen.

4. Re: Oh dear, say it isn't so

Last month on vacation we rented a 2019 Heritage Softail for a one day ride around. I have nothing bad to say about that motorcycle that a proper exhaust could not fix. it felt familiar to me within one mile and did everything I wanted it to do. And it was surprisingly fast and nimble in the twisties. I have no need for a new bike, but if I had to have one, I think I would dig it. They still build a quality machine, my 2 cents, do what you want with it.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    You do realize that the times were far different then, 30 year olds didn't live with their parents....and corporate executives didn't make 1000 times more annually then their employees! No comparison at any level.
    You do realize that old men have old ideas and are not able to change. Because they donít have enough time left to change. Indianut states ďMaybe we are just bummed out because we are old and irrelevant!Ē I think thatís what this is about for a lot of people, subconsciously. They donít want to realize it and move forward.
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

Only reason I hate change as an old man is technology. It eats the wallet with sensor replacements. ECM replacement, error codes which steer one incorrectly for diagnostics. We now live in a disposable world of motorcycles and everything else. KISS was always my motto. Keep It Simple Stupid. Though the newer machines run exceptionally well when new, with outstanding performance, when they turn 8 to 10 years old they begin failing considerably. They fail to a point it is not worth the cost of repairs. Now they sell you another..............

I guess if you view it objectively the change that is happening is not an attack on what came before or the status quo but what Management view as changes necessary to survive and prosper , not unlike the transition from the shovel head to the aptly named evolution , not that I necessarily like it ( nor have I ever owned on Evo) but I donít take it personally ....nor want to see them fail. It doesnít help any of us to see the demise of HD, Iíve often wondered why the same vintage Indian as an HD ( putting aside flathead vs Overhead) trades for less, especially given the disparity in numbers. Is it Indians are viewed as Orphans and unable to survive while HD prospered ? Personally I find many Indians more attractive ...but this is for greater minds

Quote Originally Posted by Architect View Post
    Last month on vacation we rented a 2019 Heritage Softail for a one day ride around. I have nothing bad to say about that motorcycle that a proper exhaust could not fix. it felt familiar to me within one mile and did everything I wanted it to do. And it was surprisingly fast and nimble in the twisties. I have no need for a new bike, but if I had to have one, I think I would dig it. They still build a quality machine, my 2 cents, do what you want with it.
    I would defer to Duffycycles for a comprehensive critique if I were you. Just saying...

You do realize that old men have old ideas and are not able to change

That's an opinion, yes? By "realize" you mean agree with you?

you meet the nicest people on a Honda

Thread Information