Thread: 1961 panhead linkert

1961 panhead linkert

I have a 1961 FL panhead that I bought last year. From day 1, when riding, if I rolled the throttle off, it would cough and sputter. It seemed worse in the lower gears.

I replaced the coil, replaced the condenser, cleaned and re-gapped the points to spec (I bought new points, but they were not OEM, and they did not fit correctly, so I cleaned and re-installed the ones that were on the bike when I bought it), and re-set the timing, but that did not cure the problem.

I adjusted the carb, following the instructions in the manual, but it did not fix the problem - actually, after adjusting, it would not idle without turning the throttle lever stop screw way out.

Well, I finally got a chance to pull the carb off, with intentions of re-building and cleaning it. Looking it over prior to teardown, I see the throttle plate is installed backward. When closing the plate, the high point of the bevel is toward the inside of the carb, and the screws holding the plate to the shaft are toward the inside of the carb. Must have been a serious PITA to put them in that way, and will be an even bigger PITA to get them out.

My question is - would this cause the problems that I described above ?

Re: 1961 panhead linkert

Check the throttle shaft to bushing fit.
    Too loose & it is an intake leak that would act like yours.

By taking the linkage off the top of the shaft, I was able to spin the shaft all the way, putting the heads of the screws towards the outside. I got the plate off. Duffy - the throttle shaft is a tight fit, no slop that I can discern

4. Re: 1961 panhead linkert

I think you're on the right track... theres a little vent where the throttle plate closes. looks like a little dumbbell. one side of the vent has a larger hole and the other a tiny hole, with a very small slot connecting the two holes. there is a large screw on the outside of the body where you can open the cavity and clean it out with compressed air. Of course, the backwards throttle plate wasn't allowing the equilizer vent to work the way it is designed. This is what makes the throttle work correctly when coming off idle and transitioning to the low speed jet smoothly. That may be some help to you.
    I would suggest you find "The Linkert Book II" published by Victory Library. http://www.victorylibrary.com
    This book will serve you well, for nearly all of your needs with regard to Linkert carburetors.
    Good luck. C2K

The throttle plate should sit like this with numbers out on the right and when fully closed sit in the middle of the idle slot. Certainly possible this was causing your problem....

Thanks everyone. Got the carb fully dissembled. Going to soak it in gunk part cleaner overnight, and put it back together. I noticed that the main jet and the plug next to it were in the opposite holes from the way they are shown in the manual. I thought I read in another thread here on the forum, that it did not matter which hole the jet is in, either one will work. Is that correct ?

Thanks again

It does not matter....

Thread Information