Thread: Sidcear Spare Tire Carrier Lock

Sidcear Spare Tire Carrier Lock

This came with my sidecar. Key is obviously aftermarket. Goes in but only goes 1/4 turn counterclockwise. However key will not come out. Have to rotate 1/4 turn clockwise to get it out.

I want to take this to a locksmith. Can someone please tell me how much this should rotate? 1/2 turn? 1 full turn?... and direction?

Re: Sidcear Spare Tire Carrier Lock

Quote Originally Posted by panz4ever View Post

This came with my sidecar. Key is obviously aftermarket. Goes in but only goes 1/4 turn counterclockwise. However key will not come out. Have to rotate 1/4 turn clockwise to get it out.

I want to take this to a locksmith. Can someone please tell me how much this should rotate? 1/2 turn? 1 full turn?... and direction?
    The key locks the handle so it does not spin, then it can be spun on or off. Once down the key unlocks the handle so it cannot be spun off. Check both sets of threads and if the key works.
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

The H-D lock is not a quality item or mine might be worn out. The key turns 1/4” left and right and catches, when it does you need to turn the handle till it locks up the key. Until then the key will rotate 360 degrees till it locks up.
    "Never wake up a Dummy, let him sleep. He might wake up and hurt himself." my good friend, John Fitzgerald (Southside Chicago)

The lock works with a plunger locking into a hole, so it is normal to rotate the handle until it engages. It is a very simple mechanism. When locked the handle and center stem move together, allowing the holder to be unscrewed. When unlocked the handle free wheels and the spinner assembly cannot be unscrewed keeping the spare secure.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

K. I can put the hande on the shaft with no problems (no binding at all). Guess thge problem is that the handle will turn and turn and turn. It never locks up. Also the key will not turn 360, just the 1/4 turn.

Edit: I did get it to lock (spinner did not turn), but I could still turn the locked handle and get the piece off. Does it make a dif if there is a hub on it?

Definitely isn't smooth tho...
    Last edited by panz4ever; 01-22-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by panz4ever View Post
    K. I can put the hande on the shaft with no problems (no binding at all). Guess thge problem is that the handle will turn and turn and turn. It never locks up. Also the key will not turn 360, just the 1/4 turn.

Edit: I did get it to lock (spinner did not turn), but I could still turn the locked handle and get the piece off. Does it make a dif if there is a hub on it?

Definitely isn't smooth tho...
    That is what it is supposed to do. When the spinner is locked, the whole assembly will turn off the threaded axle of the spare holder. When the spinner free wheels it cannot unscrew. That is all it does and was intended to do.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Thanks for the clarification/explanantions Robbie and BNSONS. That makes sense....now

8. Re: Sidcear Spare Tire Carrier Lock

When my handle is locked (handle spins freely), my key goes in and you turn it 180 degrees clockwise. This will bind the handle and the mechanism together so you can remove the spare.

Thread Information