Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UL Oil puking from cam cover

1. UL Oil puking from cam cover

Hey guys, making a little more progress on my UL project. Tonight, the thing is puking oil pretty bad from the cam cover where I believe the breather screen is located? Not sure if I'm using the correct terminology.

I have read that maybe the thing is wet sumping which could be causing this....... Or, perhaps I didn't get the breather valve timed correctly. I am fairly confident that the breather valve is timed correctly, as I have done that successfully several times while fiddling around with this mototr, and doing it by the service manual so hoping it's just a simple matter of wet sumping which might be fixed by playing around with the check ball or check ball spring.....

Thoughts?

See attached pictures of leak, and the red circle where it is leaking from...... This UL has fought me every step of the way trying to fix it up. But I love this machine and I love the fact that I must be one of the few millenials even attempting to do such as thing as fix and improve a UL HD....

Oil leak on ground

Oil is leaking from here

Re: UL Oil puking from cam cover

It is wet sumping. Seadub

it's just a simple matter of wet sumping which might be fixed by playing around with the check ball or check ball spring
    Replace the pump ball and springs, give the balls a good whack with a punch to seat.
    Last edited by 1950panhead; 01-09-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Is the tube from the pump feeding piston oilers? Seadub

Your flutter valve is stuck.

u-cover-flutter.jpg

6. Re: UL Oil puking from cam cover

Quote Originally Posted by bianese View Post
    It is wet sumping. Seadub
    Ok. I noticed when I was kicking it over yesterday before I put the generator back in I could hear a lot of slushy sounding stuff going on when turning the motor over, likely from being wet sumped pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by 1950panhead View Post
    Replace the pump ball and springs, give the balls a good whack with a punch to seat.
    I believe this ironhead sporty pump I have adapted has only one spring? Perhaps it is weak?

Quote Originally Posted by bianese View Post
    Is the tube from the pump feeding piston oilers? Seadub
    Yes, I am running clear tubing from the main feed off the front of the ironhead sporty oil pump around and up to the flathead supply pump, which is now just a distribution block to supply oil to the crank pin and the piston oilers.

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    Your flutter valve is stuck.

u-cover-flutter.jpg
    Man I hope it is just that flutter valve..... I have installed and pulled this motor more times than I care to count while addressing one thing or another! You're pretty confident it's just that flutter valve?!?!

This is how I timed the breather sleeve gear

This shows the clear tubing that feeds the piston oilers off of the flathead supply pump, which is now just a distribution block...

This shows the clear tubing that leaves the front of the ironhead sporty pump, wraps around and up to connect to the original hardline going into the flathead pump, which again, is now just a distribution block.

Thanks guys! I'm feeling more encouraged about this already!

You're pretty confident it's just that flutter valve?!?!
    No, just a thought.
    Open the sludge trap bolt.

8. Re: UL Oil puking from cam cover

What or where is that?? I don't see it listed in the index of my service manual.

Does the Sporty pump have a seal between the two sides? Oh, and your sprocket nut is on backwards, small end goes against sprocket.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

10. Re: UL Oil puking from cam cover

Quote Originally Posted by panic View Post
    You're pretty confident it's just that flutter valve?!?!
    No, just a thought.
    Open the sludge trap bolt.
    I'm assuming the sludge trap is those 4 flathead screws and that plate cover that I have circled in red???? I removed that and there was quite a bit of junk in there........ It APPEARS that the flutter vale is in fact stuck like you said!!! I love how the service manual tells you to suck and blow on it to test it.... LMFAO, not scientific at all but whatever...... If I understand the manual correctly you should be able to SUCK through the flutter valve with the cam cover in your mouth but you should NOT be able to blow through it....
    Well, the flutter valve appears to be frozen stuck as it will not let air pass either way... We scraped around on the back side of the flutter valve after removing the sludge trap and there was quite a bit of junk built up in there..... Tried cleaning the flutter valve but it didn't seem to help....

Quote Originally Posted by Rubone View Post
    Does the Sporty pump have a seal between the two sides? Oh, and your sprocket nut is on backwards, small end goes against sprocket.
    What do you mean? There is a gasket between the case and the upper pump cover, a gasket between the upper pump cover and the pump body, and finally, a gasket between the pump body and the lower cover if that's what you mean?

Damn!! Well thank you for pointing that out to me that I have the sprocket nut on bassackwards.

Ok.... The cam cover had to come off anyways..... You guys check me out on this stuff below......

Lined up the timing mark on the left crankcase in the center of the hole to verify breather valve timing......

Here is the breather valve gear.... Timing is right.......

Instead of using a tape measure to measure 7/16", the distance from the straight gear to the case half, used a set of dial calipers instead.... I like precision where possible.

Thread Information