Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: '49 WL Starting issues as in not - Have spark and gas

Re: '49 WL Starting issues as in not - Have spark and gas

I pulled the gear cover off this weekend, the number 2 cam came out with the cover so I wasn't able to check the timing on that gear, bummer, but something is off. With the line on the flywheel in the center of the window I cannot align the lines on the #3 and #4 cams, the lobes hit the valves before they line up. So I unscrewed the tappet adjustment all the way down to make more room but I still can't line up the lines of these 2 gears even though the flywheel is centered. With the flywheel line centered shouldn't the front 2 valves be closed, correct? So the lobes of the cam should not be up enough to touch/raise the valves in this position, right? What I am I missing? I also found the idler gear to have a bad wobble, the stud/bushing is worn out so a good thing that the cover came off to catch that as well.

Follow the manual.Start from the beginning and DO Not forget to time the breather. Never Ever trust one of the great big lies...."I just did the bottom end." Any motor I have ever used has been torn down no matter what the history.Gaskets are cheap,break downs are not.

With the line on the flywheel in the center of the window
    Ignore flywheel marks, the crankshaft pinion gear has a mark that aligns with center mark (of three) on nearest camshaft.

The flywheel mark is used to time the scavenge pump breather, but not the cams. As pointed out they are timed to the pinion shaft markings.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

After centering the flywheel mark in the window I timed the scavenge pump breather. Then per the manual I installed the rear exhaust cam, front intake cam and rear intake cam, lining up the marks on all gears starting with the pinion gear, they all lined up just fine. When installing the front exhaust cam I can't get the mark to line up with the front intake cam, the lobe of the front exhaust cam hits the tappet. I backed off of the tappet adjustment to allow more clearance, but as you can see in the photo below it is still a couple of teeth off. I can rotate the motor to try and line it up before the lobe engages the tappet but of course none of the other marks will line up at that point and that isn't how the manual says to do it. The photo below shows all of the cams installed, see where the mark on the front exhaust cam hits the front intake yet all of the other gears are lined up? Robbie, could it possibly be that cam issue you mentioned? My first guess is operator error, but all seems fine except the front cylinder cams won't line up. What do you guys think?
    https://www.pecossigns.com/images/49WL/49WL-GEARS.jpg

You need to get the tappet adjusted down as far as it will go and you may need to manually lift the valve a bit to get clearance to get it to line up. Normally when the cams are timed the top end isn't on. There is always a valve under load when assembled.
    Friends help friends move,
    Real friends help friends move bodies!

Yep, the first thing I tried was adjusting the tappet down as far as it would go, was not enough. I'm thinking this was the issue with the bike, or one of them, because the gears were this way when I pulled the cover off.
    What is the best way to manually lift the valve?

This whole conversation would point me in the direction of pulling the cylinders.This would give you a chance to check everything out.Like;skirt clearance, ring gap,bore diameter,rod play,etc.I would also take out the valves and check guide clearance and spring tension. With the problems in the gear case,I would not trust anything with this motor.Fix the wobly idler gear and check your generator gear lash.Take the scavenger pump apart and make sure it has clips in place.If not you will be chasing this thing. Give yourself some peace of mind knowing what you got.

7,000 ft up on the Palmer Divide in the Colorado Rocky Mtns

Sixty5pan, since you have ALL tappets screwed down to give you as much clearance as possible, I would rotate the engine FORWARD just a little, pull the front exhaust cam, re-install it to line up the line on the front intake SO WHEN YOU ROTATE THE ENGINE BACK, it all lines up. Re-install the cam cover, timer, oil pump, etc. Then, readjust the tappets, .004" intake & .006" exhaust, ONE CYLINDER AT A TIME. As the exhaust tappet STARTS to go up, adjust the INTAKE. When the intake goes up and STARTS TO GO DOWN, adjust the EXHAUST. This method put the opposite cam on it's heel to insure the lowest point for setting that tappet. Repeat on the rear cylinder. Getting back to the timer, set the points at .022" ON THE HIGH POINT OF EITHER TIMER CAM LOBE. Rotate the engine so the timing mark for the FRONT cylinder is in the back side of the timing hole. Points should be closed when the timer is RETARDED. Take a strip of cellophane (from a ciggarette pack) & put it between the points. Now rotate the timer base towards advance. You should be able to JUST PULL the strip out as you get to FULL ADVANCE. If not, adjust the base strap or band until you can pull it out at full advance. Lock down, you are NOW PROPERLY TIMED. NOW, you can adjust the carb, tend to the coil/plugs (.028"), and the rest. If everything else is close, it will start & run to the point you can adjust the rest. Doc
    Last edited by Doc37W; 01-09-2020 at 05:43 PM.

chibobber, since I haven't done that before I'm going to have to leave that as a last resort.
    Hey Doc, yes sir, that is just what I did, just went forward a bit to clear it, then compensated for the difference and installed the front exhaust cam then rotated the motor around to make sure all the lines matched up. I'm hoping to get it back together this weekend and give it a go, I am so ready to go for a ride.

Thread Information