Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: '49 WL Starting issues as in not - Have spark and gas

Re: '49 WL Starting issues as in not - Have spark and gas

Quote Originally Posted by sixty5pan View Post
    Performed a leak down test and I believe I found the problem. Had 80% loss in the rear cylinder and about 70% in the front. With the valves down and the cylinder pressurized I can hear air spraying out of the exhaust and carb on the rear cylinder, I mean a lot of air. On the front the air flows out of the exhaust and just slightly out of the carb. After pulling the heads and looking real close it looks like the valves are new H-D but the seats are covered in carbon, like really bad, it looks as if someone put in new valves but didn't seat them or even clean the seats. Can you imagine someone working on one of these machines that didn't know what they were doing? Yeah, me either. Thanks you guys for the help.
    Who offers a service of valve seat grinding or can you recommend someone?
    Make sure the lifters have clearance when taking a measurement. They can hold the valve slightly off the seat and give a false reading.
    It feels good once a problem is identified. It is all downhill from here.
    Cheers

Didn't you check for valve lash many, many times?
    The adjustment does not matter. The question is "do they completely close, or not?".

On the lifter clearance, yes sir, I made sure the valves weren't setting on the lifters before the leak down test and put it in gear to hold it tdc.
    I have checked the valve adjustment many times before this, but apparently they were never closing completely according to the air coming out of the exhaust and carb when under pressure. Once I get the valves out I think it will show the problem will be obvious as the seats look dirty except for the rear intake, you can still see some shiny with the valve up on that one where the others you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by aumick10 View Post
    Make sure the lifters have clearance when taking a measurement. They can hold the valve slightly off the seat and give a false reading.
    It feels good once a problem is identified. It is all downhill from here.
    Cheers
    I realized after i posted this that you had probably already done that. Oh well.
    After you get the valves out, clean up the seats with a wire buff in a drill or similar. With luck, they may only need a lap to seal them up. This is something easily done yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by aumick10 View Post
    This is something easily done yourself.
    Reminds me of when I re-did the top end on my 50 WL back in the day.I did it all myself, cause I couldn't afford to have the dealer do it in 1986. I got .010 over pistons & rings Army Surplus, plus a new set of valves, & guides, also Army Surplus. i pressed new wrist pin bushings in with a homemade setup, reamed them with an adjustable reamer set that I have, installed the new guides with my guide driver set, & took my cylinders out to .010 over with my Ammaco model 500 hone. I hit the valve seats ,& trued up the valves on ancient Black&Decker Super Service Valve Equipment, & then hand lapped the valves for the final fit. Armed with my new Army Surplus gasket set I put her all back together, she started up fine, ran great & was still running strong when I sold her in 2016. It only cost me about $55.00 in parts, & I had to scratch that up. Don't be afraid to tackle it yourself. All I had to guide me was the Army Service Field Manual for the WLA motorcycle, but you have this marvelous thing called the internet, & this Great Forum...
    98 FLSTC TRIKE
    60 VW TRIKE-HOMEMADE
    68 TRIUMPH 650 TIGER CHOPPER

You Ain't A Man Till You've Rode A Pan, I'm A Man...

Thread Information