Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with Trans ID

Help with Trans ID

Bottom of the case is 37403-65 and a 2. The top had a 'D' cast in. The anti theft number is M49xx.

Does that make it a 1974 transmission?
    Grooving in Shovely sunshine

Re: Help with Trans ID

Iím betting you mean the bottom of the case has 34703 65? As for the 2, I do not know its exact meaning but it may be an inspector marking and some cases have 1 instead of 2. Regarding the cast-in D on top, I canít explain it but Iíve seen it many times. Another letter sometimes found cast-in on top was N.

For BT trans cases, M was one of at least three letters used on the front for 1974 models, the other two letters being L and N. But what does your M49xx look like? Photo? And I sent you a PM.

For more info about additional ID here are links to threads I started recently on the Jockey Journal and the Panhead and Flathead forum.
    Eric

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/...d.php?t=213460

http://www.hydra-glide.com/phpBB3/vi...hp?f=5&t=18752

As mentioned via email I can't see anything wrong with the additional ID. M is the usual style, the 4 is a certain type with closed top and no serif at the base and the 9 is rounded.

Two examples below for comparison.
    Eric

I have a STD transmission case I am trying to identify.
    The only number I can see is 19984282 on the front right of the housing.
    Does anybody know if this can be decoded?
    Cheers

I think that ID number can be broken into sections. The four central characters (9842) relate to that particular trans case, just like the additional ID number found on some Harley trans cases.

The first two characters and the last two characters are the STD model number, meaning their model number for it is 1982. And the four characters indicating the model are also found in those positions on some other STD trans cases as shown below.
    Eric

So that would put mine as a 1982. Is this a rear belt drive case that is different to the earlier rear chain cases.
    Cheers

I don't know. As I mentioned above, their (STDís) model number for it is 1982. But what does their 1982 mean exactly? Maybe contact STD and ask them.

The case I posted earlier will accept an aluminium inner primary (65-later) but it also has a boss for a 64-earlier adjusting screw.
    Eric

Thanks, I have sent an email to STD.
    I suspect the rear belt cases have moved the whole main shaft to the right about 1/2" to allow space for a belt, as well as a different inner primary.
    When used with a rear chain inner primary, and rear chain main shaft, it is now too short.

HD 4spd 1970-'84,the mainshafts are the same length between belt drive & chain drive 12.470 long

Quote Originally Posted by duffeycycles View Post
    HD 4spd 1970-'84,the mainshafts are the same length between rear belt drive & chain drive 12.470 long
    I have discovered my problem.
    My main shaft is the correct length and part no, but it was manufactured with the clutch taper ground undersized. This pushed the clutch hub further onto the main shaft and resulted on the clutch hub rubbing on the inner primary. The clutch hub would bottom out 0.200" further inwards than where it was supposed to.
    I have sourced a correct mainshaft and will assemble tomorrow.

This should be a warning that some aftermarket parts are not actually made to OEM standards.

Thanks to all for your ideas.
    Cheers

Thread Information