Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: EARLY 42WLC build

Re: EARLY 42WLC build

Nice job on the front tool box..there is a big nut and bolt on the back inside wall...holds a sprocket...you are good with metal...A vendor named Easy Russ had all the blackout lens for the front and rear 1942 WLC soup can lights...not sure if he is still around or doing business..Bought them on ebay from him years back

[QUOTE=Ross;304146]Nice job on the front tool box..there is a big nut and bolt on the back inside wall...holds a sprocket...

Good call on the bolt I almost forgot it before I painted the box! Got it on the fender and bent up a quick piece of tube for the fender conduit.

Nice job, yes the rubber piece too behind the bolt for sprocket in the front tool box...great attention to detail..Looks great

Very nicely done, congrats!
    How far are you done with the electrics, cos I notice you haven't installed the hornbutton nor flipswitch yet...
    Did you find a frontstand already?
    Last edited by Lib45; 05-24-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lib45 View Post
    Very nicely done, congrats!
    How far are you done with the electrics, cos I notice you haven't installed the hornbutton nor flipswitch yet...
    Did you find a frontstand already?
    Thanks! As far as the electrics of the bike I have been collecting stuff here and there. I just picked up a Delco relay and headlight flip switch the other day. I have the outer of the horn button but no guts, the bike came with 2 generators so I will be taking those to a buddies shop soon to be gone through. I found a company that sells re-pop front stands and might order one in the next week or 2 when I buy my wire harness.

Now for something I am pretty proud about! For the last few months I've come to realization through hunting and research that certain 42wlc parts are really hard to find in the states and they don't make the re-pop parts anymore. A few months back I found an original tail light housing but wasn't able to get it at the time and it sold some time after. When I was ready to drop some money on one last month I couldn't find anything so I decided to look and see What parts Harley used to make it.... couldn't be hard, and during a war use what you have... so 1934-38 license plate frame and light buckets! Just add a second and have no cut out for the license plate light. So I scored a cheap bracket and found 2 re-pop RL VL light buckets and had to weld up the light cut out. I then made a backing plate to hold both. While searching this forum a few months back I found a post about the light socket wire ends being the same as model T so I got those from the link that was posted. When the original bracket came in the mail the light socket was roached so I picked up some brass pipe at home depot and had my machinist buddy turn down the brass tube a steel inner tube and make 2 backings. After using a file to cut the path/lock for the bulb I soldered everything together and riveted the whole assembly to the bracket. Then a little paint and popped in my NOS lenses.

6. Re: EARLY 42WLC build

Nice!!!!!!
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

7. Re: EARLY 42WLC build

That's very handy work.
    It appears that you have two running light lenses.
    the brake light lens for the left side pot will have a smaller dot.
    It's a minor detail.
    Also if your running a right side throttle control the RCEME mandated that the spiral collar be painted red
    so that after the conversion there was no confusion about which side the throttle was on.
    the little details are the most interesting.

You've been doing a great job fabricating parts you need but can't buy anymore. Very clever how you figured out this tail light. Keep posting your progress, this is a fun thread, even though I'll probably never own one, I like to see your attention to detail.
    1982 FXR - started restoration
    1979 FXS 1200 (1340) nearly done
    96" Evo Softail self built chopper
    2012 103" Road King "per diem"
    2003 Honda CRF230 dirt bike
    plus 11 other bikes over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by rd.king View Post
    That's very handy work.
    It appears that you have two running light lenses.
    the brake light lens for the left side pot will have a smaller dot.
    It's a minor detail.
    Also if your running a right side throttle control the RCEME mandated that the spiral collar be painted red
    so that after the conversion there was no confusion about which side the throttle was on.
    the little details are the most interesting.
    Thanks! Yes I am aware I have 2 of the same dots on the glass lenses. When they came in the mail a few months ago it really bothered me that I didn't have the the small dot but I've SOMEWHAT talked myself into being ok with it... I will probably buy the correct soon and sell one of mine.
    On the spiral would the whole collar be painted red or just a ring around it? That sounds like a rad little detail that will 100% be going on the bike when I do CC#s and unit

10. Re: EARLY 42WLC build

The exposed area where your hand rest, not the rubber.
    And your bike would be rubber grips not the waffles from your earlier photos.

Thread Information