Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: EARLY 42WLC build

Re: EARLY 42WLC build

I love how you reconstructed the tail light assembly. In 1983 at the AMCA Farmington meet I had 3 sets of 1942 WLC tail light assemblies from the old dealership in Winnipeg. I had to talk people into buying them for $10 each...those days went into gas money for the trip..o the misery today keep it going..love the thread

Man I wish I was old enough to take advantage of the days where costs were reasonable!

Well I was able to finish one of the last parts of the roller part of the bike other than the passenger seat over the last few days. My bike came with what was most likely a WLA seat (has old side rivet holes) that was in really rough shape. The seats top leather was in really good condition for its age and still soft so I spent the past few weeks rubbing in some leather dressing every few days. The bottom strip where the rivets attach it to the pan were shot so I cut the threads and got all that removed. I then made a few patches to go on the underside of the top leather to back up any thin or small torn spots and used a glue to set those. After making a new and much wider top and middle strip I riveted it to the pan and with a little spray adhesive I set the original padding in and hand sewed the top back on. When the sewing was done I trimmed all the excess leather around the original, dyed it to match and sprayed it OD green. All and all I like the way it came out and feel that I was able to age hide my work enough to look like I never touched the seat in the first place

3. Re: EARLY 42WLC build

Very fitting post for June 6, 2020.

RAD.You truly have MONSTER skills.What a job on the seat!

Why don't you start with the electrics?
    Now you have to take both tanks off, and the baseplate too..
    Not to be judgemental of course; it's your build...

Quote Originally Posted by Lib45 View Post
    Why don't you start with the electrics?
    Now you have to take both tanks off, and the baseplate too..
    Not to be judgemental of course; it's your build...
    Lol I ordered my wiring harness and parts today... the tanks and dash are all finger tight and just on the bike to test fit, look sexy, and protect from scratches. As far as thungs like getting the horn button wire in the bars I've got a pretty good vacuum string trick that works well and don't think I'll have to pop them off. But the time has come and I'm looking forward to it.

Oh and I tried to order a front stand and like everything else 42wlc they no longer make them. So for the moment I'm SOL...or until I find an original or figure out how to make it.

Two questions
    Does any one know what clamps hold the headlight switch on to the rear of the frame on the wlc?
    And is there a place to get horn button internals. I have the shell but no button
    Last edited by Radmosnter; 06-07-2020 at 11:49 PM. Reason: forgot

7. Re: EARLY 42WLC build

Horn button, I have no answer for finding original bits except the Bay and such, but I can tell you the repop horn pieces do not fit in a real shell, which is a PITA. Good luck, that seat came out pretty amazing.
    1946 WL Solo
    1970 FLH
    1991 Sportster XLH
    1997 Wide Glide FXDWG
    2005 Road Glide FLTRI

For the front stand try Flathead Service in Holland, he is still listing them so maybe he still has them in stock.
    https://webshop.45flatheadservice.co...ectID=20543885
    The clamps I used are these part no. 10001 from https://www.jwboon.com/. As far as I can tell they are the same clamp.
    Ron
    Last edited by rocket ron; 06-09-2020 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Added info

Quote Originally Posted by rocket ron View Post
    For the front stand try Flathead Service in Holland, he is still listing them so maybe he still has them in stock.
    https://webshop.45flatheadservice.co...ectID=20543885
    The clamps I used are these part no. 10001 from https://www.jwboon.com/. As far as I can tell they are the same clamp.
    Ron
    awesome I picked up some straps for the switch and placed an order for the front stand lets see if it gets canceled like they did on the tail light houseing 2 months ago lol. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by Radmosnter; 06-09-2020 at 09:34 AM. Reason: .

Update on front stand from that last site given... no go they do not carry them anymore

Thread Information