Thread: LT AND Model M Sidecar springs

1. LT AND Model M Sidecar springs

Rob the Piper,
    I have both a Model LT and Model M sidecar chassis. The Harley Parts Book shows that various springs were available from
    6-10 leaf springs. Is there a table available showing what springs were recommended for various weight loads.
    For the LT chassis Harley bodies were not that common as we in Australia in the 1930's had tariffs applied to sidecar bodies
    but not to chassis. Harley chassis were fitted with locally made bodies. From the many photographs I have seen none of these local bodies had the cutout in the seat area to allow the body to fall without the body floor hitting the main cross bar of the chassis. I have a friend who had a local body on a LT chassis and over bumps the floor would hit the main crossbar.Local bodies were not fitted with a check strap.
    The New South Wales Police used Harley chassis with local bodies. The physical requirements in the 1930's for Police were that you were to
    be 6 feet tall. My Grandfather complied with this and he also weighed 200 pounds and was very athletic.
    Were stronger springs fitted for the generally heavier person carried in the sidecar.

Re: LT AND Model M Sidecar springs

Rob,

I think you will find Australian Police bikes fitted with Dusting sidecars also utilised a Dusting chassis. These were sprung differently and didn't require the body cut out.
    Stuart Syme
    Perth, Western Australia

1942 UL 74 Special Sport Solo

3. Re: LT AND Model M Sidecar springs

I have only seen one photo of NSW Police using Dusting Sidecars and that is a publicity photo of 1934. Chassis used were Harley or JGM (Murphy) made in Sydney. Bodies were either an Australian made Goulding or copied versions of it. 1930-36 V model Harley's used HD chassis. I also have photo of 1935 showing
    Harley's fitted with both type of chassis. From 1937 up JGM chassis were used

Rob the Piper

Is this a Harley Chassis?

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/po...ney-australia/

My parts book lists 8 leaf springs as standard on 1925 to 1941 M and MW with optional 7, 9 and 10 leaf available.

img-190915071447-001 (400x137).jpg
    Stuart Syme
    Perth, Western Australia

$_20 (3) (300x225).jpg

This is an ex Western Australian Police Dusting sidecar fitted to late 1930's Harley Davidsons and used by them up into the early 1950's.
    Stuart Syme
    Perth, Western Australia

6. Re: LT AND Model M Sidecar springs

The publicity photos are the ones I have seen. Chassis and body is Dusting. Have a look at Dave's new Sidecar Project. He has photo of JGM chassis he restored.

Rob the Piper

7. Re: LT AND Model M Sidecar springs

The bike that went to auction in NSW recently,also a Murphy chassis ?

Last edited by Ridgy didge; 09-14-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: resize photo

8. Re: LT AND Model M Sidecar springs

Interesting to see early 20's J model Harley fitted with heavy weight Murphy chassis from the thirties. Murphy came to Sydney about 1932 from Melbourne. Note how the bar has been bent to match up with the J frame at the front. Chassis were bent and adapted to fit the best way they could when necessary.

Thread Information