Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 36 EL Motor/Tranny on EBay

Re: 36 EL Motor/Tranny on EBay

I tried to find photos to prove my point . All are stamped like the mentioned knuck. Always thought you had to rotate a case 180% to read the other numbers.

What's all a'the pussy-footin' around? The pics tell the story: a '36 from which all those parts probably came was re-built using that obvious 1938 left case. You can still read the number under the inept re-stamp. Therefore, the VIN is totally bogus. It's not worth anything more than the sum of the other parts to someone with a set of high-number 36EL cases to possibly build a passable 36 out of. All those gennie 36 parts are nothing to sneeze at, but don't pull my leg.
    Sarge, Gerry Lyons, Fla.
    AGENT ORRNGE Survivor. So far.
    The Friendly Fire that Keeps on Burnin'.
    F.O.G. member: http://flatheadownersgroup.com/
    www.37UL.com
    "It's a 1937, and the downside is, it's out of warranty"

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    I tried to find photos to prove my point . All are stamped like the mentioned knuck. Always thought you had to rotate a case 180% to read the other numbers.
    I've always believed that there is no absolute in production/Assembly at the factory. A new employee at any of the factory stations could have done something that went against the instructions that were given to them, i.e. line bore numbers stamped the opposite direction, or grabbing a certain font stamp that was no longer used and using it until they were were corrected by their supervisor. In putting the human factor in the equation, their is no absolute.
    Steve

Clark, in the R-H BN the 3, 6, 5, 4 and the second 2 are consistent with a 36 BN at that stage: 36-+542. (More than one type of 36 was used in the BN year portion.) But the first 2 isnít consistent with a 36 BN and I think there was a different character in that position originally.

Regarding the left BN, I agree it looks like it was originally 38. And the wrong 6 was used because it isnít the same type as in the R-H BN.
    The second 2 is consistent with 1938 (as it was for 1936). But the first 2 isnít consistent with 38 (or with 36) and it looks the same type as the first 2 in the R-H BN.
    I also think the 5 and 4 may be suspect regardless of 38 or 36.
    Eric

Thanks Eric. I did notice that the '2's in beginning of both the series #s was different than the last '2's. I figured that might have been the norm since I only have a few examples of factory stamped '36 BNs and none with a '2'in that first position. And I see the other things you pointed out. Good eye!

Just interesting to me as a study of what may or may not have been done to alter the BNs. The bogus VIN already makes it worthless (except as a collection of parts) to me anyway.

Clark

Some fool paid over 37 grand for it.
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Cheers Clark. Hereís the usual 2 in the first sequence position of Knuckle BNs for 36 and 38.
    Eric

high bidder may never pay. I see more and more 36 knuck stuff sold. Then relisted on the same day. Ebay is getting to be like Oddles (or what ever that scam motorcycle sales site was)

Here you can see what correct numbers look like. http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Numbers/
    Chris Haynes
    A.M.C.A. Member
    Costco Member
    I can't Re Member
    http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/
    Be sure to register so you can view large photos

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Haynes View Post
    Here you can see what correct numbers look like. http://vintageamericanmotorcycles.com/v/Numbers/
    Looking at the 36 VINs on Chris' site, I see two, possibly 3 different VIN bosses. 36EL1059 is straight with slightly rounded corners. 36EL1106 is more like my panhead with squared corners. 36EL12## has the bosses on either side of the top center case stud I assume to help hold the speedo cable clip. Are these variations all correct? And something I may encounter should I ever get to see a 36 in person?

I stumbled onto a guy on a facebook knucklehead page with 36EL1006 It's a bobber now, said his grandpa bought it new. The boss for the VIN is straight & squared, like 36EL1106.
    To have the right to do something is not the same as to be right in doing it.

49 FL Love/Hate Relationship

Thread Information